Thread: Thoughts on Craft Supplies Workshops?

Thoughts on Craft Supplies Workshops?

I'm kicking around the idea of taking a turning workshop this spring, and Craft Supplies' 5-day "signature" class with Stuart Batty is at the top of my list of choices. Has anyone here taken a class there and would care to share their opinion?

Thanks!

I've taken a couple classes from Stuart Batty and he is an excellent instructor ... one of the best.
    Bill

I've taken five 5-day Signature Classes and one weekend class at Craft Supplies. I can't say enough good things about them and would take a class every year if I could afford to. Some of the classes were across the street when they used to own another building, and several have been in their new Dale Nish classroom. Each station has a Powermatic 3520B lathe (they also have a Vicmarc and Robust), full set of tools, chucks, air, and dust collection. All the wood you can turn is provided. Make all the shavings you want because they have people that clean up everything up during lunch and at the end of the day. You get a 10% discount on anything you buy the week of the class and the following week (in case you get home and forgot to buy something). They treat you like family, provide donuts or rolls every morning, and coffee/water/soft drinks whenever you want throughout the day. On the last day they provide lunch. What a better way to spend a week than woodturning all day in a fun relaxing professional class.

I've never taken Stuarts class but have heard nothing but good things about it (he also teaches it locally here). Kirk DeHeer is the resident assistant so you'll have two professional turners to help you. Great workshops, you won't regret it.

I've taken 4 classes, and feel they are one of the best values around. I don't think you would be disappointed in any way. If you do take one make sure you bring extra $$$...it's hard to be around all of the items and wood they sell without bringing some home! Take the class...you'll love it.

Totally agree with what has been said so far. Took a Glenn Lucas course and thought it was outstanding!

Thanks for all the feedback gents, it's appreciated!

Bumping this thread to see if anyone else has any comments/complaints about these workshops.

I just saw that there is a 3 day intermediate class during some upcoming vacation time and since I just moved to Utah last year, this would be really convenient, but not sure if worth the $450. The class is taught by Scott Cherry but there is little information/reviews on the class or instructor.

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom -- My wife and I took a 5-day class from them in the early 2000s. It was a great experience, but it ended up being much more expensive than I'd planned. I ended up buying a used lathe from out of their class studio and a whole bunch of tools that I most definitely needed. IIRC, they gave a 10% discount on everything you bought during the class. They were great tools and I still use them frequently, but I really couldn't afford to save so much!

As to whether or not the 3-day class you're considering is 'worth it' or not, you'll need to be the judge of that. I can say they've been putting on these classes for a very long time and have it down to a science. You'll definitely receive good instruction in a relaxed, yet professional, environment. But, whether it it is right for you depends on your personal skill level, the type of things you're interested in turning, and the topics that will be covered in the class. If you find the subject matter attractive and feel it is targeted to someone of your skill level, I suggest you go for it. You won't find a better classroom experience anywhere in the nation. Others might be just as good, but none will be better.

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Thanks David, appreciate your input.
    Tom