Thread: Reverse V carve brain teaser

Reverse V carve brain teaser

I have a production job coming up that will require a shape to be cut out of a part 7-8 inches wide x 16-18 inches long that needs to have fairly sharp points on the exposed face. So imagine a board with an internal shape cut out that has many sharp points. This wont be possible from the front side face with a spindle and would have to be machined from the back side. The customer asked for 3/4" thick material but is willing to go thinner. Our thought was to V Carve these but from the back side. Where the V bit would carve down and pierce barely through the bottom face leaving a relatively sharp point. Those points would be pretty thin and fragile.

There is no entry point for a band blade. Or to have the customer go even thinner (which they dont want to) and have them burned out on a laser capable of the thickest material we can.

I have tossed around hogging out the bulk with a clearance toolpath and doing a finish profile with a tiny endmill but even with a 1/16" (1/32" rad) tapered ball nose you lose any sharp points.

Im overthinking at this point..
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-03-2019 at 4:11 PM.

Is it possible to do the hogging on the CNC and use a laser to cut the very fine point they want? Obviously better if the CNC also has the laser mounted because the difficulty would be in getting registration perfect with the laser coming after the CNC cut if it is two different machines.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Not picturing exactly what you are trying to accomplished but is it something that you could accomplish like in a vcarve inlay? One side is carved in and the other out? That's what popped in my head when I read your post.

Mark..
    I assume there is some IP attached to your job, so I wont ask you to post it, but, can you post a pic of something similar?
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Maybe just the illusion of sharp points. Cut out the shape then do a final pass with a vbit cutting the outline of the shape to make the surface look sharp.

The illusion of the points was the only real solution I could come up with and wasnt quite accurate when I said V carve toolpath but meant as Peter stated, clear the bulk of the material and then just do a profile-on with a v-bit. This isnt the actual file but the shapes are simply random curved points but trying to get them fairly sharp on the front face of the part. smcpoints2.jpg

Using a 60 degree V bit from the back you get something like this smcpoints3.jpg

From what would become the front smcpoints4.jpg

As an addition, we tried the profiling with an insert V bit, no go. This is in solid wood and with the angle of a V bit (60 degree) the positive points (I didnt draw any in my example images) just get too fragile and snap off. We did have some success with a 1/16" tapered ball nose.

Assuming that the profile has to be a through profile, could you create what you have shown on two 3/8" thick pieces and add some corresponding shallow dowel holes for location apply glue and flip them onto each other to provide a 3/4" thick part. Not sure if this would get you what you need but it was a thought.

That would surely work Rich but this is one of those typical bean counter jobs that needs minimal ops (i.e. keep the cost as low as possible). I think we have something workable with the 1/16" tapered ball nose and a back relief that may work. Couple samples went out next day air this afternoon so we will see.

Why can't you laser it?

We've recently finished a job that ran for 23 hours, lasering fine letters out of 20mm MDF.
    It was yucky stuff, but it worked well.

The coarser stuff where radiused inside corners were not objectionable, we routed, but the finer stuff went well on the laser.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Stewart-Koster View Post
    Why can't you laser it?

We've recently finished a job that ran for 23 hours, lasering fine letters out of 20mm MDF.
    It was yucky stuff, but it worked well.

The coarser stuff where radiused inside corners were not objectionable, we routed, but the finer stuff went well on the laser.
    That would work other than not having access to, or anyone locally, with a laser capable of cutting 3/4" material.

We have a solution that will likely work using a 1/16 tapered ball nose and have the toolpaths down pretty short and getting shorter.

Still looking for options for the inside points but we may get by.

Without knowing the exact shapes, it's hard to say, but I would route from the back down until the thickness to the bottom was say .100" then go to the laser and finish the profile. Or another thought, using your angled cutter approach, just run it 1/16" undersize and then use the laser to straighten up the edge and make it stronger so it's not a fragile knife edge surface. Laser will do down to about a .004" -.006" kerf, so your corners would be as sharp as they will ever get.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Without knowing the exact shapes, it's hard to say, but I would route from the back down until the thickness to the bottom was say .100" then go to the laser and finish the profile. Or another thought, using your angled cutter approach, just run it 1/16" undersize and then use the laser to straighten up the edge and make it stronger so it's not a fragile knife edge surface. Laser will do down to about a .004" -.006" kerf, so your corners would be as sharp as they will ever get.
    If I had that option I would but we have no laser in-house, and we have no access to any laser with the capacity to sub the job out within 100 miles. Hence trying to make due. I think we will be ok with the small(ish) rad left with the tapered ball nose cut from the back side. Any V bit from the back leaves too fragile an edge and seem to split off the male projections in the profile (my sample images really only represented female cuts). If you imagine a long slender male projection out into the pocket (a long slender point). Nearly any amount of tool pressure will snap off the point on the long grain running perpendicular to the cut.

We have changed the cut profile substantially and its looking now like the tapered BN is the answer as its only making a super slight cleanup pass beyond a straight clearing tool.