Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Center punch

Thanks for the replies!

I've been using an awl and that's fine most of the time but I'm looking for a one-handed tool. I saw someone doing production turning and he used a spring loaded center punch. I made a bunch of small things for Christmas and realized it would have been quicker and easier with the center punch.

Damon, that's the one I've been looking at on Amazon and I think I'll give it a try. If it doesn't hold up I may move up to the General ($$) or the Starret ($$$).
    RD

A company called Ronson makes a kockoff of the Starrett brand of spring loaded center punch. I have one for a few years.

Harbor Freight makes the same punch, looks almost like the Starrett, but at $3.99 is a better bargain.
    Last edited by Marvin Hasenak; 01-04-2019 at 4:55 PM. Reason: add HF info

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I want to get a spring loaded center punch to make the holes for the drive spur and live center on smaller pieces.

I see lots of negative or unenthusiastic reviews for these especially as regards reliability. Any recommendations?

Thanks - Richard
    Richard,

I have several spring-loaded punches and my favorite is a Starrett. They do cost more but they always work and are definitely not disposable. In fact, thanks for reminding me - I stole the one I use from my little machine shop and need to get another so I don't have to carry it back and forth.

BTW, I always make a hole for the centers. In many woods the spring loaded center punch works fine. However, it very hard woods the hole may not be deep enough IF your drive and live centers do not have a spring-loaded point. In that case I use a gimlet to drill the hole deeper. This is especially important in hard wood as the spindle gets thin - the point can split the wood. I use drive and live centers with spring-loaded points for most spindles. (Steb centers)

Gimlet (cordless drill!):
    Gimlet1-300x158.jpg

Steb drive and live centers with spring-loaded points:
    drivecenters.jpg Steb_Sorby.jpg

For soft woods I sometimes use this for smaller square blanks - tap with mallet, very quick:
    center-marking.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4UNTZU

JKJ

I have a Starrett and a couple cheap ones. The cheap ones worked fine but eventually they seam to loose the snap part of them. A couple times I've taken them apart but eventually they find their way to the trash. But they are cheap and they do last a long time when not doing production work. The Starrett just seams to always work.

Okay so I got this one yesterday. Thanks Damon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02638A-...s=center+punch

It does the job well and time will tell if it's going to last. This lets me quickly punch holes for the drive and live centers with one hand.

Thanks John, I am using this with steb centers and only with smaller work. I had not seen the four legged center finding tool - pretty interesting. I'm going to make a version of this from Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...330,49237&ap=1

If I want a deeper hole I often use a yankee drill that I keep at the lathe.
    RD

I have the inexpensive auto punch and made a hard wood knob for it and it is more comfortable to use and I think maybe more control where the punch mark will be