Thread: Forrest Woodworker II now available in SawStop specific diameter

Forrest Woodworker II now available in SawStop specific diameter

I just got an email from Slivers Mill stating that there is now a version of the WWII available that has a larger diameter meant to work better in SawStop saws.

https://www.sliversmill.com/product_...awStop_Ta.html

Sure glad I just bought a regular WWII a couple of weeks ago. <sarcasm>

Freud too?

During Christmas shopping at HD, I saw a two pack of 10" Freud Diablo blades on sale. While checking them out, I noticed that they were 254 MM (exactly 10").

I have several Freud red industrial rip blades from 2 years ago, and they were a bit smaller (I assume 250MM). Just enough, that I had to readjust the SS sensor whenever I switched blades. I switched over to Infinity at that time, but use the Freuds on my old Unisaw, which I kept.

Good move on Freud's part, as well as Forrest.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

The Forrest website doesn't say anything about SawStop or the diameter of the blade being changed, but it does say the grind is modified for a near flat bottom cut.

Cool, haven't tripped he blade brake yet on my SawStop, using a Forrest WWII for the past 3 years. When the motor is not running, touching the blade turns the red light on, I assume that indicates the safety logic is functioning.

Maybe the companies are just trying to avoid a lawsuit? Remember Home Depot (or Lowes) lost a lawsuit due to advertising and selling 2X4" material when it really was not 2x4"?

"This blade is the same as the regular 10"x40T Woodworker II with the exception of having a slightly larger outside diameter which works well with SawStop's automatic brake design."

We set the distance between the blade and the brake according to the recommendation given by SS, regardless of the brand or actual diameter of the blade. If the special WWII is larger in outside diameter and we follow the same recommended setting, there is no extra benefit of using the special blade. Am I missing something or is it just a marketing gimmick?

As far as I know, there have also not been any reports that suggest any slight difference in the diameter of blade has resulted in reduced effectiveness of the SawStop technology, except that my local SS vendor has advised against using the anti-kickback blades.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 01-02-2019 at 6:52 PM.

I have a Sawstop ICS that has tripped three times (fortunately, only once on my finger, other times dumb mistakes)....I have never had a problem with any 10" blade, even after sharpenings as the distance between the blade and the sensing unit is adjustable.....when I do adjust (obviously, with the saw off), I adjust until the sensor just touches the blade and then back off about a 1/16".....I think it is marketing as I have older Forester blades that work on the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    "This blade is the same as the regular 10"x40T Woodworker II with the exception of having a slightly larger outside diameter which works well with SawStop's automatic brake design."

We set the distance between the blade and the brake according to the recommendation given by SS, regardless of the brand or actual diameter of the blade. If the special WWII is larger in outside diameter and we follow the same recommended setting, there is no extra benefit of using the special blade. Am I missing something or is it just a marketing gimmick?

As far as I know, there have also not been any reports that suggest any slight difference in the diameter of blade has resulted in reduced effectiveness of the SawStop technology, except that my local SS vendor has advised against using the anti-kickback blades.

Simon
    I just got a WWII a couple weeks ago and when I installed I had to raise the brake all the way and it's still probably not as tight to the blade as it should be.

I just recently had to return an Amana Tool blade advertised as a 10" blade but was actually 9.75". It initially worked in my PCS even being over the suggested distance from the break. However it was just under the riving knife and that was an immediate problem. Plus after a sharpening or two, possibly not usable at all. (That blade is likely being made as metric at 250mm; but it should be advertised as such)

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Sapper; 01-03-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    I just got a WWII a couple weeks ago and when I installed I had to raise the brake all the way and it's still probably not as tight to the blade as it should be.
    I interchange between WWII (under 3 years old) and SawStop premium blade regularly, and always set the brake to blade distance using the yellow gauge that came with the saw. I have not experienced any setting concerns, and there is always room for the brake to travel with its limits. Did you use that gauge and did you check if there was anything else that might hinder the brake travel? Perhaps also double check the diameter of the new WWII.

Simon

Odd, I havent had any issues with any of my Forrest blades nor their dado stack working with my SawStop.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

There was no problem with mine working properly. It was just that I change blades often and had to readjust the sensor each time. I bought Infinity blades for the SS and use the Freud blades on another saw for ripping.

I have not had to adjust the SS since.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.