Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging a 7/8" hole to 1"?

Enlarging a 7/8" hole to 1"?

I bought a used fiberglass sailboat. It has a 7/8" drain plug that is missing the stopper. I can't find any 7/8" plugs, so I am going to replace it with a 1" plug. That obviously requires me to enlarge the existing hole. On a drill press that would be easy, but getting the sailboat on my drill press would be tough.

I have two ideas...
    1) Draw a 1" circle over the existing hole and enlarge it with a multitool. My experience is that multitools are not particularly precise, so I m reluctant to do this.
    2) I have a cove router bit that has a full diameter of 1". Put in a drill, it should self center in the 7/8" hole and then enlarge it to 1". Or maybe not.

Comments or other ideas would be appreciated.

Or, I could fiberglass over the existing hole and put a new one elsewhere. I have a brad point carbide 1" drill.

Blog Entries
    Make a 7/8 dowel and drill a 1/4" hole on center inton one end. Place the dowel in the existing hole. Then enlarge the hole wit a 1" hole saw using the 1/4" hole as a guide to enlarge the existing hole.

Or just buy this 7/8" plug: https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Brass-Handle-T-Handle-Drain/dp/B0000AZAOW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546451969&sr=8-5&keywords=boat+drain+plug
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-02-2019 at 1:03 PM.

Cut a 1" hole in a board with the brad point bit. Put it over the hole and use it as a guide.

Turn down the 1" plug to 7/8".

Look again for drain plugs. I saw lots of options when I googled 7/8" drain plug.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Look again for drain plugs. I saw lots of options when I googled 7/8" drain plug.
    Yes, lots come up when you google 7/8" drain plug; sadly nothing that comes up actually is.
    This is what I ordered. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot of interesting suggestions to enlarge the hole; maybe the step drill is best, though the template is cheaper.

How thick is it where the hole needs to go? What type of plug-screw in, t-handle screw type, or lever handle. What type of boat? No sleeve for the plug? I might have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    How thick is it where the hole needs to go? What type of plug-screw in, t-handle screw type, or lever handle. What type of boat? No sleeve for the plug? I might have one.
    Very thin; certainly no more than 1/16". The old one is similar to the link I posted.

Wade

Defender Marine is only 3 miles from where I work. They're one of the largest Marine supply companies in the US and world. If you give me a picture of the plug area, the hull name type, along with the dimension, I'll stop by Defender Marine for you.
    I'd hate to see you drill a hole in a boat hull you don't need to.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

So the female threaded part is still there, and you just need a replacement plug? What type of boat is it? I used to have a small sailboat business, and have a lot of leftover parts.

two.jpgone.jpg

The above are the front and back of the drain from the Precision 15K. It was missing the plug when I got it, but I presume it is a tube with two nubs on the end for engaging the drain.
    It is not in good condition, so I would prefer to replace it rather than just get a plug for it, but a 7/8" would be great, rather than drilling for a 1".

Humorously....
    As I typed this, it occurred to me that I should check Precision's website to see if they sell parts. They say they sell the drain for $7 plus shipping. I will call them tomorrow and see if it is 7/8". Maybe.
    It is my fourth sailboat, but the first from a company that was still in business; so it took me a while to think of this.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 01-02-2019 at 7:49 PM.

Drill a 7/8” plug with a hole saw and then switch to a 1” hole saw. Thread the 7/8” plug onto the pilot bit and wrap with a couple layers of blue tape to make up most of the kerf.

I have done this and it makes a passable hole.

Glad you found a source. I don't know who makes Precision's hardware. There aren't but so many manufacturers. Simplest to get one from them. I know I don't have any of them.

such as Ronstan: https://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=125 edited to correct wrong link
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-02-2019 at 9:11 PM.

I had a bad experience with electricity as a kid and avoid working on anything electrical as much as possible. BUT, I would rather try to connect 440 volts to something than ruin a boat. I would find a way to make a plug rather than drill a hole.