Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For those of you with 3 Phase wiring in your shop ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Thanks Julie, that is super helpful info. One last question — do you prefer solid or stranded wire? I’ve read that stranded is easier to pull, but it’s kind of a pain to terminate compared to solid.
    If you're pulling #12 or smaller wire, solid is fine. Solid wire is great when wrapping around a screw terminal on a receptacle or switch. Anything larger should be stranded. Years ago all the contractors moves to stranded for everything. We adjusted. But for pulling, nothing beats stranded. And when you get into larger size wires, most termination means are designed to accept stranded wire. Even 15A receptacles and switches now come with screw terminals designed for stranded wire. Just avoid back stab devices when installing receptacles and switches. Another plus for stranded is it's much easier to find now than years ago. I have a few reels of solid left in #14 & #12 but I rarely use it anymore. The last time I used solid wire was for hanging Christmas lights.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

If I'm not mistaken, even the 'borg sells stranded THHN in #14 and #12 as well as solid. I don't recall if they have #10 in solid. For the short run through PVC conduit to my CNC, I just stripped a #10 NM cable into individual wires so I didn't have to pay for rolls of the stuff and have a lot left over.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Julie, that is super helpful info. One last question — do you prefer solid or stranded wire? I’ve read that stranded is easier to pull, but it’s kind of a pain to terminate compared to solid.
    Hi, commercial grade devices are back wired and have conductor clamping plates, no wrapping wires around screws except for the ground.

You can buy pre-made ground pigtails with lugs on the end, makes wiring neat and simple, and the pigs are insulated.

Use stranded wire, I always pull a ground conductor in EMT......Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, commercial grade devices are back wired and have conductor clamping plates, no wrapping wires around screws except for the ground.

You can buy pre-made ground pigtails with lugs on the end, makes wiring neat and simple, and the pigs are insulated.

Use stranded wire, I always pull a ground conductor in EMT......Regards, Rod
    I always pull a ground too. Makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    For the short run through PVC conduit to my CNC, I just stripped a #10 NM cable into individual wires so I didn't have to pay for rolls of the stuff and have a lot left over.
    Jim -- I think that might be a technical code violation because the individual conductors in Romex are not labeled like they are with THHN wire ... but I won't tell anyone That is definitely something I would do to save some dough!

Jim -- I think that might be a technical code violation because the individual conductors in Romex are not labeled like they are with THHN wire ... but I won't tell anyone That is definitely something I would do to save some dough!
    That's likely correct. But I'm not worried about it too much, either...it's a whole 10'...so I used what I had. If I move the machine, then other arrangements will be made. Please note I am not advocating for not doing work to code...it's a very rare thing for me to deviate for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Use stranded wire, I always pull a ground conductor in EMT
    Take a tour through "conduit land", where conduit is code, and you'll find millions of feet of conduit without a grounding conductor pulled through them. Metallic conduit is a pretty good ground, when it's installed right.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, do they use cable trays in the US? Pull the covers off and add/remove as needed.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Take a tour through "conduit land", where conduit is code, and you'll find millions of feet of conduit without a grounding conductor pulled through them. Metallic conduit is a pretty good ground, when it's installed right.
    True, but when I am feeding a 150amp 480v circuit, I still want an actual ground run with my feeds.

As to using phase tape to remark conductors, the only NEC restrictions are for grounded (neutral), & grounding conductors 6 AWG and smaller, those are not allowed to be remarked/reidentified.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I know Julie, however I never EMT as the ground conductor, just personal preference.

Regards, Rod.

I have 400amp 208Y in my shop. I wired everything with 3/4 EMT and THHN. I had never bent a piece of conduit in my life. I had maybe 3 sticks of conduit that I royally screwed up. That price was a whole lot cheaper than hiring an electrician to wire my shop.

If you're in a residential area and will be bringing in 1~ power, you should seriously consider just contacting Jack Forsberg for your 3~ machines. He custom makes VFDs. All you have to do is send him your motor plate and money. You won't find a better deal or better support.
    -Lud

He isn't making them, but ok.