Thread: Laptop Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Yep! There's an empty drive space. Now, which drive to install?

I did some searches for a SATA SSD and WOW! They aren't cheap! A 1TB Samsung 850 runs in the $900 range. I found a Crucial MX300 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD for $400. It gets high ratings on Amazon. Acer used Crucial for the memory sticks. Any issues with Crucial?

I also found a Crucial 2TB MX500 2.5" Internal SSD for $280. It appears the difference is the above is SATA and has 3D NAND technology. Though I don't know if those things make the drive worth another $120.
    I think you're looking in the wrong place. A 1TB Samsung 860 SATA drive is under $150 on Amazon. The solid state drives (ssd) are more expensive than hard disk drives (hdd) but they're soooo much faster. I gave you a pointer to one in an earlier post and Roy gave a link in his post.

They design those laptops to be serviced, and those that have multiple disk drives often have simple ways of getting to the drive slot. If you can do electrician work and woodwork, you can put a disk drive into a laptop. Go to Acer's website and see if you can find the hardware maintenance manual for your laptop. They give step-by-step instructions in those manuals for how to do things like installing a disk drive.

Mike

Here's some instructions for a computer which may be close to yours.

I also found some YouTube videos but I don't know if they address your specific model.
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-03-2019 at 1:33 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.