Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new, CNC controlled sliding table saw.

My new, CNC controlled sliding table saw.

A company in a nearby town is closing its doors and they're selling all their machines. I knew they have a SCM CNC controlled sliding table saw so I went over to take a look at it. It's in perfect shape and there are 6 saw blades that go with it. I was able to negotiate a good deal and now it's mine. It has 400mm saw blade, it can handle wood op to 3200mm in length, and it has electronically controlled height and angle adjustment.

Nice!!
    Congratulations on your new saw. I don't know much about sliders, but that looks like a very well built machine. CNC obviously takes it to a different level.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Wow, what a machine!

And the dust collector in the background looks pretty impressive, too. Who makes that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I don't know much about sliders, but that looks like a very well built machine.
    SCM is an Italian company that makes very high quality machines comparable to Altendorf but a lower price. It can also store 99 different programs. I don't think I will use that feature much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    And the dust collector in the background looks pretty impressive, too. Who makes that?
    It's made by Höcker Polytechnik. This model is the Vacumobil 180.

You scored a really excellent machine there, Jessica! You're going to enjoy working with it as you create your extraordinarily good project results. Congratulations!

I'm personally an SCM/Minimax fan (and user), so no complaints from me on that part!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep, it's a great machine. Everything runs super smooth and the CNC controls make like so easy.

Btw, does this machine exist in the US?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUAi3rkqdzc

Edit: Apparently the machine in the Youtube video is called a slot mortising machine.
    Last edited by Jessica de Boer; 01-02-2019 at 2:00 PM.

Make a Fritz and Franz jig for holding smaller pieces of wood and possibly air clamps and you will be amazed at your new saw’s capabilities. Not sure if you are new to a slider? You may already know all this.

Congrats.

Just color me jealous. Great saw
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Not sure if you are new to a slider? You may already know all this.
    Indeed I do

look at airtightclamps. com. Mac is running a year end sale. The quality is second to none. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    look at airtightclamps. com. Mac is running a year end sale. The quality is second to none. Dave
    Similar clamps are available where I live so I'm not going to order something from the US which most likely needs to be adapted to the pneumatic connections we use here. Apart from that I don't need pneumatic clamps.
    Last edited by Jessica de Boer; 01-02-2019 at 1:01 PM.

What is CNC on the saw? What is the computer controlling? My imagination just can't figure out what this thing can do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Densmore View Post
    What is CNC on the saw? What is the computer controlling? My imagination just can't figure out what this thing can do.
    usually in this type of machine it is blade height, blade tilt, and fence offset. Sometimes the computer will hold a thousand different preset programs. Some machines have programmable mitre angle and programmable stop on the mitre. Some bigger screen displays even show you where to place the wood and will move it into a locking position.

Wow, that is a sweet saw. Great score. Out of curiosity, why was the other shop closing down?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    usually in this type of machine it is blade height, blade tilt, and fence offset. Sometimes the computer will hold a thousand different preset programs. Some machines have programmable mitre angle and programmable stop on the mitre. Some bigger screen displays even show you where to place the wood and will move it into a locking position.
    I think what John is getting at is it's NC, not CNC. There no program that runs, only stored settings.