Thread: Introduction and my first post... a Christmas catapult

Introduction and my first post... a Christmas catapult

Hello!

My name is David and I'm just starting out with woodworking.

I live in an apartment, so my projects are greatly limited by noise, space and dust collection. This means I mainly use hand tools, but I'm discovering that some jobs (routing, sanding etc.) are considerably faster with a few power tools thrown into the mix.

I really am a beginner however, so I spend an lot of time exploring my tools, and fixing (hiding!) my mistakes. I'm learning that I enjoy working slowly and mindfully.

I hope to meet and learn from you all!

The Christmas Catapult

Here's my latest little project for the kids. But really to test a new tennon saw from Santa

I'm not sure what type of catapult it is. The internet seems split between onager and mangonel.

Catapult Collage - 1280w.jpg

Wood is basic pine.

I planned to use glued butt joints except for lap joints on the cross-bar to take the impact. However, I decided to reinforce the verticals and diagonals with screws, as constant firing might eventually crack the glue.

I also added some small secondary lap joints to the cross-bar, to prevent the inward pulling force of the wound rope collapsing the frame.

Finally, my wife unknowingly donated a kitchen spoon.

The kids love it. They set up breakable forts and try to knock down the walls. The cat remains understandably suspicious.

What would I improve?

Gluing the stop dowels was a mistake. I can't increase the twists to add more power. If I made this again, I would either use removable stop dowels or make a simple ratchet and pawl system. It's meant to be a kid's toy however, so maybe it's a good thing to limit the power.

I would also add some height (maybe wheels) to give the the firing arm some clearance underneath.

Finally, I'd add another cross-bar just after the rope, to prevent bending inwards from the twist force.

Welcome to SMC, David. That's a neat little catapult, or should we call it a trebuchet? Now all you have to do is train the kids to catch in their mouth those vegetables they refuse to eat.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Nice little project, I'm sure that the kids liked it. Mom I'm not so sure. Excellent joints.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks @Lee @Julie,

I hope to learn a lot here at SMC.

Welcome David! We're glad to have you join us. The trebuchet is neat!

As a (mostly) hand tool guy, have you already been following the Neanderthal forum here at SMC? If not, you should! You'll get all sorts of info on how to tune and use the tools you have, ideas for future projects (and skills) and ideas for what tools you should acquire to support your next project.

Whose tenon saw did Santa bring you?

Look forward to seeing more of your upcoming work!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for the welcome, Fred. Yes, I found the Neanderthal section - there's a ton of great information and skill there. One day I'd love to have a permanent workshop with a huge bench, but for now I made a little workbench on wheels. It's enough for small projects, but everything has to be cleaned and packed away after each session.

I got a super-cheap Irwin 12tpi to start with. It's my first back saw, and it's a big step up from a generic hardware store saw.

41EppoUFYrL.jpg

I also got a small engineers square (Faithfull). I can't believe how useful it is!

What projects do you enjoy working on?

Glad you found the Neander forum! Don't get intimidated by all the talk of high-end tools. Most of us started small and bought better as we could afford it. (My first backsaw wasn't much different than yours.) I build small furniture mostly. Boxes, night stands, small tables, butcher blocks and of course, things that make the shop run smoother like storage.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”