Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secondary Wood Choice

My criteria for secondary wood:
    1) Is it cheaper than what I'm using?
    2) Is it easier to work than what I'm using?

Usually this means poplar.

If I care too much about what the secondary wood looks like, then it's really not secondary wood at all!

I use pine

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    How do you go about selecting secondary wood choices for a given piece? Are there “best practice” combinations or rules of thumb combinations to consider?

I’m thinking about building a tool chest out of white oak with a couple of drawers. What would be good to use for the drawer sides/back to pair with white oak fronts... besides poplar (never been a fan of how poplar looks)? Is it “acceptable” to use pine with oak or is mixing hard and soft woods a no-no?
    I use white pine as secondary wood when making solid wood stuff but my main wood is mahogany. I love that combination although in the last 30 years I work only in a few projects involving only solid wood as most of my projects involved (high grade) plywood.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Traditionally secondary woods were the inexpensive and easy to work woods available locally. In New England this meant white pine or occasionally sycamore in CT or RI. In the Mid-Atlantic states it was usually poplar and in the south southern yellow pine.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH