Thread: Dust collection exhaust length.

Dust collection exhaust length.

So I used to have my harbor freight dust collector just blow out the back side of my garage but I recently added an addition to the back side so I now have to reroute the dust collection. My options are to go up twelve feet and then over the twelve feet of the new addition. The other option is to go sideways about 15-18 feet and go out a different wall. I would rather just have the chips blow out the back of the garage but I'm not sure going up and then over that far is a good idea what do you guys think?

My thought would be go the 15-18 feet option if it is less of a vertical climb. Especially so if going sideways has less turns to get there.

Do you run the DC in winter? You area is too cold to dump all that air outside and bring in freezing cold air to replace it. If you air condition the shop in summer, same issue.
    Bil lD

Not sure how long you would have to run the DC for in any condition to actually affect the climate of my 1400 square foot shop.

To reduce effects of a long exhaust I would increase the diameter and make any turns as gradual as possible, like two 45 deg elbows instead of one 90 deg and avoid any restriction as much as possible. For exhaust noise reduction, using a piece of insulated flexible HVAC duct helps significantly.

Charley

If you have 10 foot ceilings, then you have a volume of 14,000 cubic feet. If your dust collector operates at 1000 cfm, then it would take 14 minutes to move the entire inside volume of air outside. That would mean you would have to draw in exactly that amount of cold air from the outside. The problem is actually a little more complicated than that but the affect of just blowing dusty air outside is not negligible if you run the dust collector for long.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    Not sure how long you would have to run the DC for in any condition to actually affect the climate of my 1400 square foot shop.

Further just having a dc pipe sticking out the wall acts as a chimney 24/7 unless you close all blast gates and they really seal air tight, which they do not. just open a window 3 inches and leave it open for a day to feel the effect with no blower running.
    Bil lD.

I have had that pipe sticking out the backside of the garage for about 5 years and just have a dryer vent on it that closes when not in use on its own. Not only did I never see any noticeable difference in the climate of the garage while running it I never noticed any change in my bill either. Also I handle the end of that hose all of the time and can’t fee an ounce of cold air coming in it. The question of the pipe out the wall working has already been answered what I was trying to find out out is potential problems with the increased heights and lengths