Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolling pin finish

Rolling pin finish

Having been asked to turn some French rolling pins, I'm wondering what kind of finish to put on them to make them work well with flour and be easy to clean. The web indicates using some form of beeswax that is melted into the wood and then buffed off. Also, is there a particular type of wood that works well or more importantly, some types to Not use? Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    bill

I used the beeswax and medical grade mineral oil combo paste works well and when wood feels dry just use as needed.

I used hard maple if it is good enough for butcher blocks I figured it would be good for this too.

There's not much point in using wax as it will wear away pretty quickly with use and washing. I'd go with a simple oil finish to give the wood some color and a bit of water resistance. A level up from there might to to use an varnish such as General Finish's Bowl Finish.

I use maple with a mineral oil and beeswax mix for the finish. In a microwave safe container I added a bottle of minerla oil from the pharmacy about a half ounce bar of beeswax, nuked it a little to melt the beeswax, poured it in to a jar. Apply and hand rubbed it in the wood on the lathe as it was turning. Then wiped it down with a clean cloth.

Won't some of these coatings stick to the dough when in use? You want the roller to be dry.

Growing up, we had a rolling pin in our house that my grandfather made in his teens. It worked well for some 50 years of being used nearly every day and I don't think it had any finish on it, so I figured that the East Indian Rosewood was good for rolling pins when I needed one. My version has held up well for a year or so -- although it does not get nearly as much use as my grandfather's version.

Any close grained hardwood will do, sugar maple being the best. Flour on the dough and rolling pin is what keeps the dough from sticking. I prefer a nice hard gloss finish for the rolling surface. I am also the baker at our house. The last two I made were for pre teen girls and were finished with several coats of wipe on poly and steel wooled with 4-0 in between coats. It won't water proof the wood, but makes it water resistant enough to be quickly hand washed without a problem, if necessary. To me rolling pins are like cast iron skillets, once they have a good surface, just wipe them, don't wash them. Same for a dough board.

I'd prefer unfinished. That's what my grandmother's is, which I still use. Beech is traditional, but maple is also great.

Rolling pie crusts with shortening and butter keeps them oiled up, Mine has never been washed while I've owned it.

I turned a rolling pin for my wife 20 or maybe 30 years ago. Used hard maple and behlen's salad bowl finish, several coats. Haven't done anything to it since and it looks like new despite fairly frequent use and washings.

I use pure tung oil to harden the surface of the wood and make it water resistant then buff it smooth. Any close grain hard wood will work like others have said.

I would use paraffin wax (home canning type) smear it on, lots of it, and melt it in with a torch. Water should bead up on it. This is how I treat cutting boards and salad bowls.

I made a number of rolling pins at Christmas and the most popular were purpleheart followed by spalted chinaberry. I finished them with one light coat on Mahoney's UtilityFinish.resized rolling pins.jpg

Wow...really nice! Guess we'll give this project a try. Thanks everybody for all of the suggestions and advise.
    Happy New Year!
    bill

Leaving the pin unfinished is ok, unless the wood contacts and soaks in oils that can become rancid. Then your rolling pin can take on molds and objectionable smells.