Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED lighting

LED lighting

Rockler has a 10,000 lumen LED 4 foot strip for $99. I have a basement shop with fluorescent lights. I need more light over my workbench. This light seems like a good option. Would it be too bright? Would 2 5000 strips linked and separated a bit give just as much light with less shadows? Thanks Mark

No way would I pay $99 for a LED fixture like that when the LED fixtures from Costco are a fraction of that cost. Being in my shop is like being at the beach on a sunny day with the Costco lamp... I effectively paid about $20 per fixture.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was in costco within the last month and the had the $19.99 fixtures for sale. They can be daisy chained together as well.
    Bill D.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linka...100462723.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-01-2019 at 12:18 PM.

I'll add that the lighting fixtures sold by woodworking stores have huge markups compared to other sources. There are quite a few threads here on SMC about shop lighting and specifically LED choices/sources, depending on what someone wants to accomplish.
    --

I'll agree that I also wouldn't pay $100 for a LED shop light. But for those of us that aren't Cosco members but live near a Menards there is another good option this week.

Menards has a 2 pack of 46 inch LED shop lights rated at 3500 lumens each on sale for $29.99 plus a rebate of $10.00 which makes them $10 per fixture. They have a limit of three 2 packs per rebate, but even without the rebate it's $15 per light. I bought a pack yesterday and when I realized they were brighter than my twin 32 watt flourescent fixtures I went back today and bought 2 more packs.

Over a workbench or extra light for a tool is a perfect use for the Costco Feit LED units. They have a plug and a pull chain, which pretty much tells you NOT to buy a bunch and use them to light the entire shop. But people do anyway even though that is usually a mistake.

For your use, the are perfect. Buy 2-3 and you will be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Over a workbench or extra light for a tool is a perfect use for the Costco Feit LED units. They have a plug and a pull chain, which pretty much tells you NOT to buy a bunch and use them to light the entire shop. But people do anyway even though that is usually a mistake.
    Hmmm. I just bought 20 of the Costco lights and plan to use them along with some supplemental task lighting to light my entire new shop and garage currently under construction. The instructions indicate 4 units can be daisy-chained together. I plan to plug 4 daisy-chained units into a switched outlet for each run.

I don't see the problem...
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I certainly don't feel it was a mistake and if a unit fails, they will cheerfully take it back. My shop feels like the sun is hanging from the ceiling every time I turn the lights on!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I certainly don't feel it was a mistake and if a unit fails, they will cheerfully take it back. My shop feels like the sun is hanging from the ceiling every time I turn the lights on!
    They don't seem to fail at all based upon the 8 I have in various places. The light fall off over time is more than a good T-8 bulb and the total life is about the same. I used a number of them for temp use and when used where you pull the chain for extra light they are working well. The ones used for fill in where I didn't have time to wire in more T-8 fixtures are clearly going to hit the trash about the time the surrounding T-8 fixtures are ready for a bulb change.

Also, the only way they seem as bright as a T-8 fixture is where you benefit from more light down due to the narrow beam angle. So they do a good job replacing a T-8 fixture with a reflector hung low over a workbench or tool. It really all depends on where you use them and how much you run them. LEDs can have some big advantages on lights that are turned on/off several times a day.

Most of the time the "huge improvement" that people see is based upon a NEW fixture as opposed to an old one. The other one is where the old fixture was not appropriate for the use such as where more down light is an advantage. Another factor I see is that certain vision issues can benefit from the harsher light that you get with less even lighting. Those people also seem to like extreme high color temp like 6500K.

I don't disagree, Greg. One thing I did do with the LED deployment is "more fixtures" which certainly increased the light level, too. My ceiling is now white which helps with light bouncing back from below. I have one area (front near my bandsaw and doors) where I think I want to add two more fixtures and will be doing so as soon as I catch a sale on the units.
    --

I have some of the Costco LED fixtures. I just noticed that one partially failed. One of the tubes is dark for about the first 25 percent of its length.

Just mentioning this as it surprised me. I was expecting that if I had a failure either one of the tubes would turn dark, or the whole fixture would quit working.

Just a point of interest, not a complaint. Where that fixture is the light is still adequate...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

They will cheerfully take it back, too, Bill.
    --

Menards has a 2 pack of 46 inch LED shop lights rated at 3500 lumens each on sale for $29.99 plus a rebate of $10.00 which makes them $10 per fixture. They have a limit of three 2 packs per rebate, but even without the rebate it's $15 per light. I bought a pack yesterday and when I realized they were brighter than my twin 32 watt flourescent fixtures I went back today and bought 2 more packs.
    That sale is over. I did manage to pick up 9 of the 2 packs (the $10 rebate is only good on 3 of the 2 packs - but even so, $15 instead of $10 per fixture isn't too shabby) while the sale was on.

I replaced 4 old T12 florescent fixtures that were in my basement & I became an instant fan of LED fixtures.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Anyone have an issue with these light fixtures flickering - especially notice it at startup.

Mike

My LED fixtures never flicker that I can see...
    --