Thread: Connecting conduit to flush mount panel

Connecting conduit to flush mount panel

Good evening!

So I need to run some extra circuits in my garage, and I am looking for the least destructive method. I am thinking of running pvc 3/4 conduit with THHN, but I need to figure out how to get into the flush mounted panel without tearing up the sheet rock.

There is a free knockout on the bottom of the panel, so I am thinking I could punch a small hole in the sheet rock below the panel and then use smurf tube and then use a surface mount J box and then hook up with the conduit.

Is there a better way?

Thank you!

Smurf or Greenfield (metal flexible conduit) would work. If you cut the hole far enough away (like a foot) from the panel you can use the Jbox to cover the hole.

I removed the sheetrock between the stuff above my panel and replaced it with a removable plywood sheet for access to the panel when needed.

A variation on Wayne's suggestion that I have also used is to install one of the flush mount access doors/panels they sell for allowing access to plumbing connections.

Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-x-9...4055/100149906

Allows for future access and can be painted to blend in.

I would do like Wayne suggests to make "this" job easier as well as provide for efficient changes/additions in the future.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is this conduit going to be surface mounted or in the wall? If you are planing to put it in the wall I think the easiest way is to pull the panelbox to get a big enough hole to drill it from.
    Much easier to learn simple drywall patch methods.

Pulling an installed (and fully wired) panel box is a tough row to hoe, Bill! But I believe the OP is going to surface mount the new conduit/circuitry, so it's mostly a matter of getting access to the bottom of the installed panel so that cables can be routed between it and the new work in an approved way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I hope he is going surface mounted but I read it several times and I am still not sure. He needs to learn to do drywall and painting. just use some plywood scraps instead of buying a full sheet of drywall.
    Bill D.

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I am indeed surface mounting the conduit and and new boxes, and I am just trying to determine the best way to connect to the flush mount panel.

I like the idea of plywood access panel. That way I can simply attach the J box to the surface of that and have conduit go from there. I am running a 30A 220 for my DC and also 2 20A 110s for other tools, which will give me a total of 4 110s and 2 220s in the garage. I hope I won't need to run any more circuits!

I cut a hole for a deep 4x4 box and put a box extender on the front. You can then either run conduit in the wall between them (I did) - or use romex from the box to the panel. Should be fairly minimal drywall damage if you can pull the romex easily.