Thread: Electric motor question on table saw.

Electric motor question on table saw.

I have a Delta/Rockwell 12/14 table saw with a 7.5 hp single phase motor installed. The motor quit working and I found out the start and run capacitors were bad. So bad that the wire connectors fell off in different places. The run cap I can read the specs on it and should be very easy to find but the start caps I have absolutely nothing to go by. There is not a plate on the motor displaying the brand, specs etc. All I know is that it is a 7.5 hp single phase. Does anyone know how to formulate what start caps I need? The run cap is csc 25uF 370 VAC. then I have 2 start caps, that is where the problem comes in.
    I have googled and googled again trying to find a chart or something, it is possible I may have overlooked a web page but I am finding nothing that makes sense to me. The 3 amp and 6 amp numbers i posted earlier were wrong. Those numbers are for thermostat rating.
    Last edited by Karl Card; 01-01-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: More info

A bit tough to get 7.5 hp out of 3A, 220V. Maybe 30A?

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    A bit tough to get 7.5 hp out of 3A, 220V. Maybe 30A?
    Maybe the motor has an efficiency rating of 766%!

Snark didn't answer the OP question.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Snark didn't answer the OP question.
    Caps for 3A/220 and 7.5 HP motors are quite different. Here's a guide to sizing motor capacitors:
    https://inspectapedia.com/electric/M..._Selection.php

Karl,
    I would recommend taking the motor to a motor shop. And it's definitely 30 amp, not 3.
    And make sure the wiring in your shop is sized appropriately for the load!
    Hope this helps.
    Jeff

Outside my bailiwick, but here's a web site that might be of some help:

https://inspectapedia.com/electric/M..._Selection.php

Here is another source, but you'd probably be better off contacting a shop based on the wiring conditions you found.

https://www.electricneutron.com/elec...acitor-sizing/
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-01-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Pardon me if I offend. It is utterly impossible for a motor to put out 7.5 horsepower with an input of 230VAC at 3A. The fact that the original poster doesn't already know this leads me to believe he doesn't have the necessary knowledge to repair the motor without considerable risk to his own safety and the integrity of the motor. I strongly recommend he hire someone to do the repairs for him. Sometimes it is just worth it to pay someone who knows what they are doing.

Would it have one run cap for 120 and another for 240? Or maybe connect them a different way for the different voltages. IF this is a European motor they reverse the meaning of decimal and commas in math, like amps. I think Asian motors use the comma and decimal point like the USA

I have the ability to read and learn. M 56 yrs old and made it this far in life by asking questions and reading. I agree the amps seemed low to me but that is one of the reasons why i posted in the first place. I need information not negativity. I assure you my breakers and wiring are far above what is needed to run this.

All is good. I finally found the info I needed. Thanks to those that replied with positive info. I got lucky and with a little research found out this motor is a Baldor 7.5 hp and the cap numbers for run and start. Just to give some of you a little insight, I had never wired a house. Never had put in an electrical socket. In 2009 I bought a fixer upper house. It needed rewired all the way around. I had to have an inspection done. I read the code, talked with several electricians and when the city came out for inspection, the only comment was that everything was great and far above code. I have not had any electrical issues. So yes I respect electric and the harm that it can do. I ask alot of questions but I am not going to back down just because I have never done something before.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant