Thread: Decorative Beading

Decorative Beading

Happy new year to all of you! My wife crashed early tonight so the wheels in my head are turning. I am making a simple set of shelves to help contain my growing hand plane collection and want to dress them up a bit for the heck of it.

i have a Veritas small plow plane with a few beading blades and was thinking of adding some beading to each of the four shelves. A few quick questions:

1) is there a resource I can access for traditional uses of things like beading, fluting, etc.

2) would it be more typical for a bead to be run along the front edge of the top face of each shelf (i.e. running the fence of the plow plane against the show edge) or more typical to have the bead on the show edge (register the plane fence against the top face of the shelf)?

This is definitely not a make or break decision so I’d love any and all input. I don’t have a bunch of Moulding planes to facilitate more complex profiles - kind of just looking for an excuse currently to use the beading blades I purchased. Ultimately the intended use of those planes in the near future is to add a bead to the bottom of the aprons to a simple table I’m planning on building soon.

Thanks!

Make a sample or three to see how it'll look

Blog Entries
    The possibilities are near infinite.

Google > shelf edge bead detail < in images for a few ideas.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There's an episode of The Woodwright's Shop called "The Venerable Bead" that may be what you're looking for.

Link

cleaned up beads.jpg
    I suppose someone will come along and tell me these ain't beads..
    started.jpg
    Or, this isn't Curly Maple....
    second bead.jpg
    Might be a bit much....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The possibilities are near infinite.

Google > shelf edge bead detail < in images for a few ideas.

jtk
    thanks! I think I may have found what I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    cleaned up beads.jpg
    I suppose someone will come along and tell me these ain't beads..
    started.jpg
    Or, this isn't Curly Maple....
    second bead.jpg
    Might be a bit much....

steven, those look like beads to me! Too much for what I’m looking for on this project but good examples nonetheless. Thanks for responding!

Quote Originally Posted by David Myers View Post
    There's an episode of The Woodwright's Shop called "The Venerable Bead" that may be what you're looking for.

Link
    Thanks! I will give it a watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eaton View Post
    Happy new year to all of you! My wife crashed early tonight so the wheels in my head are turning. I am making a simple set of shelves to help contain my growing hand plane collection and want to dress them up a bit for the heck of it.

i have a Veritas small plow plane with a few beading blades and was thinking of adding some beading to each of the four shelves. A few quick questions:

1) is there a resource I can access for traditional uses of things like beading, fluting, etc.

2) would it be more typical for a bead to be run along the front edge of the top face of each shelf (i.e. running the fence of the plow plane against the show edge) or more typical to have the bead on the show edge (register the plane fence against the top face of the shelf)?

This is definitely not a make or break decision so I’d love any and all input. I don’t have a bunch of Moulding planes to facilitate more complex profiles - kind of just looking for an excuse currently to use the beading blades I purchased. Ultimately the intended use of those planes in the near future is to add a bead to the bottom of the aprons to a simple table I’m planning on building soon.

Thanks!
    Brian; you may find the following site of interest. https://www.mouldingsone.com/mouldin...ecount-10.html

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Brian; you may find the following site of interest. https://www.mouldingsone.com/mouldin...ecount-10.html

Stewie;
    Stewie - thanks for sharing that great resource! I ended up just going for a bead at the top/front of each shelf but I am looking for more ways to incorporate these kinds of design elements on future projects so this will be very useful!