Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Dado stack for the money?

Best Dado stack for the money?

Hey everyone. I'm on my way to hopefully purchase a saw stop. While I would love the professional model I think I'm going to just get the contractor saw.

I would like to get a dado stack for this. The one they sell where I'm going (Woodworkers Source) is made by BeTop. I've never heard of it and honestly have a tough time finding them online. It is expensive and appears to be high quality but who knows for sure.

Anyone have a dado stack they use and like that isn't terribly expensive? I'm open to any suggestions. I've seen a lot of dados for much less money.

Betop is a diverse industrial tooling company, I think their sawblades are made by Fink in Italy.

It might be best if you set a budget. What isn't terribly expensive to you will vary when applied by other people.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hi Michael. I think Sawstop limits you to 8 inch dado stack (you can't use a 6 inch stack). My 8 inch Oshlun stack has been a good performer and was around $80 I think. Just a little less than the Freud which runs around $100.

I also have an Oshlun 8" stack and it's pretty good. It's my "good" stack. (My "utility" stack is a relatively inexpensive Freud set.) I also have a 10" Amana bored for 1" for my 12" table saw; it was significantly more expensive than the Oshlun, but it's very nice.

Blog Entries
    I have a Freud SD508, a CMT SD208 equivalent and a DeWalt 7670. If you can squeeze just a little more the DeWalt 7670 has been the equal of my Freud SD508 at about 60% of the price.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a Freud SD508, a CMT SD208 equivalent and a DeWalt 7670. If you can squeeze just a little more the DeWalt 7670 has been the equal of my Freud SD508 at about 60% of the price.
    I use the Craftsman-branded version of the Dewalt 7670 on my Sawstop. It works great and I got it for free with their old rewards system (RIP).

Besides being limited to as 8" diameter dado set, you will need to purchase a dado brake cartridge. The regulars saw blade cartridge will not work with a dado set.

Also, SawStop advises not to use any saw blade or dado set with depth of cut limiting shoulders as the shoulders slow down the brake cartridge reaction.

On-line SawStop contractor saw manual -- https://www.sawstop.com/support/manuals/contractor-saw

My "better" (Infinity Dadonator) dado set cuts flat bottom dadoes and my "lesser" (estate sale special) set leaves grooved bottoms. Good to keep in mind when shopping.

I'm happy with my
    Dewalt/Delta 7670 set as well.

Recently retired my Freud set which worked “ok” and acquired an Amana Dadonator.

Very happy with it so far.

How flat are the bottoms of your dados? I am becoming allergic to bats ears.
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

An 8" dado on a 5/8" arbor and a contractor saw would not be something I would want to run often. Dave

Dadonator!

Contact SawStop and see if they recommend the Infinity Dadonator or if the blades anti kick back fingers will reduce the reaction time of the brake cartridge to stop the blades.

Infinity 8" dadonator ftw.