Thread: How tall is a router lift?

How tall is a router lift?

Hey everyone,

I am building a router table cabinet. At some point I will be putting a lift in it but that's down the road. How much room should I allow for the lift and the router? None of the lifts I am looking at seem to have this dimension listed anywhere. I'll probably be going with a Woodpeckers or Incra lift.

Thanks

My Benchdog lift with PC7518 router is ~12" from the bottom of the table to the router head. You would want to add another inch or two for cooling.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Take a look at the dust collection accessory on the Incremental Tools "The Clean Sweep's 9-1/8" x 12-3/4" inside dimensions. 15" deep front to rear and 15-3/4" tall." dan

My MasterRLift is ~9 3/4” from the bottom of the table.

Blog Entries
    Dan beat me to it but, a commercial dust compartment would give you pretty safe dimensions. They are made to fit the majority of uses.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Check out the Jessem. I’ve owned two Woopecker lifts and now have a Jessem. I know that’s not your question but they are very good lifts.
    I can measure my box dimensions where the router is housed if you want. It has housed 3 different lifts both plunge and motor only, which is my current configuration. Give yourself plenty of room though. For the most part, depending on the type of lift, the lift itself doesn’t take up a whole lot of room outside of the router dimensions.

I have a woodpecker lift with a PC Speedmatic. With the router down all the way, it is about 12 1/2” from the top of the the table to the bottom of the router. The lift itself only occupies the upper 8” or so. That is, the total height you need inside your box depends more on the router than the lift.

Thanks for the info, everyone. Checking out the dust compartments seems the way to go.