Thread: dual marking gauge

dual marking gauge

Anyone have experience using dual marking gauges? Better to use two single bladed marking gauges to mark mortises or use the dual marking gauge?

Not a direct answer to our question but an observation I have made recently while modifying a wheel gauge, why don't they put two heads on the same bar with blades at each end? I find the dual gauge a bit bulky for my small hand.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

3. I have used the more traditional style (not Tite-Mark). Has worked well for me. Is faster to get the two lines than setting up and switching between two gauges. I have found to get a good scribe line like from an Xacto knife need to grind the points down with more of a knife edge.

Chris, you can purchase twin wheel heads, such as for mortice and tenon marking, for wheel gauges. Titemark sell them. I think that Veritas might as well.

I do not recommend a twin headed wheel gauge (as opposed to the twin shaft version sold by Veritas. That is different). The problem is that a wheel gauge leaves a fine and light line. A double wheel leaves a fainter line, one which is more difficult to see, especially on dark woods.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-03-2019 at 9:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Not a direct answer to our question but an observation I have made recently while modifying a wheel gauge, why don't they put two heads on the same bar with blades at each end? I find the dual gauge a bit bulky for my small hand.
    LV does have the double-ended gauge as a pocket marking gauge.

Simon