Thread: jet lathe 1642evs-2 wiring

jet lathe 1642evs-2 wiring

jet-tools-jwl-1642evs-2-page29.pngGreetings fellow turners:

First, I am not well versed in wiring.

I have the jet lathe 1642evs-2. I moved the lathe to a new place in the summer and wired the lathe in haste. It is a single phase 230 V. It should be wired L1(with red) to "R" & L2 (with brown) to "S". T should not be used as it is for 3 phase.

I wired it

L1(with red) to "S" & L2 (with brown) to "T".

It worked intermittently (meaning, sometimes it would not light up + no power) and sometimes it did run until I turned about 20 or so knobs.

I then left it unplugged till Christmas. Now even though I wired it per the manual, it won't start and the panel will not light up. No lights on the VFD. I tested the electric lines and it has power to the motor. Each leg measures 92-94 V on the motor.

The lathe was not used much (it is about 10 years old and everything on it is original). I do have a spare motor but I did not try it. Any suggestions? Thanks for any input...

Sal.
    Last edited by Sal Kurban; 12-30-2018 at 8:10 PM.

Not sure what colors are on mine, but the lathe should use 3 wires. 2 hots and the neutral/ground. I'm pretty sure you can't wire that 3 phase.

I just uploaded the wiring diagram from the manual for reference. I am wondering if the VFD is fried but it is unlikely since there is no display on the speed indicator or the VFD.

I'm thinking that you probably did fry the inverter.

One of the hot legs of the line power should go to R and the other hot leg should go to S. It doesn't matter about the color, but typically the colors of the power cord wires are black and white, but could be black and red. The power cord should have a green wire which is the safety ground. Functionally, it doesn't do anything except protect you from an electrical shock in cases where a failure would result in voltage on some exposed part such as the lathe frame. Therefore, for safety reasons you ought to have the green ground wire connected to the ground terminal screw (it's the terminal next to R). Since you connected the two power leads to S and T, it probably resulted in an over-voltage condition.

When you realized the error did you connect the power cord leads to the correct terminals?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Kurban View Post
    I just uploaded the wiring diagram from the manual for reference. I am wondering if the VFD is fried but it is unlikely since there is no display on the speed indicator or the VFD.
    Since you are not experienced with wiring you might get someone else to look at it to see if you missed connecting something properly.

I think the Red and Brown wires go to speed sensor/display module. If it does not light up it is either not getting power or no longer working.
    Look at the display on the VFD on the back. I don't have an EVS-2 but on my other Jet and Powermatic lathes I think it displays the frequency, the letter "F" and a number. There should also be some small LEDs lit on the diaplay. If the display is blank, something may not be wired right or the VFD could be fried.

JKJ

You do know you are taking 240 single phase into the VFD and then it sends 3 phase to the motor. Agreed, hire an electrician. A lot cheaper than frying parts!

well each leg voltage is low , I do not know what voltage your power co. is running but around 125 ac volts is what we have in s.e. tn. so across the two legs you would have 250 ac volts. measure across the legs to make sure that you did not wire to the same leg twice. it also might be your ground could be not that good giving resistance to the circuit causing the low leg reading.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    well each leg voltage is low , I do not know what voltage your power co. is running but around 125 ac volts is what we have in s.e. tn. so across the two legs you would have 250 ac volts. measure across the legs to make sure that you did not wire to the same leg twice. it also might be your ground could be not that good giving resistance to the circuit causing the low leg reading.
    Thank you, I will check the legs and ground connection once more and report back.
    Sal.

The input to the VFD is 124V. Output varies between 90-112 V on each leg.

Issue resolved:

I was using an old receptacle. One leg was measuring 125 V input, the other 46 V input. The VFD being sensitive was still producing 3 PH output but less than required. Updated wiring + receptacle solved the problem.

11. To OP, Sal. Hi Sal, I tried to message you but can't seem to do it. I have the same Temco RPC as you and I have some questions regarding your wiring of it. Any way we could email chat?Thanks, Travis