Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Establishing primary bevel

Yes, I too am tired of grinding away on sandpaper altering angles on my plane blades. These 60 year old hands are hurting in the winter. Time for the Rikon with CBN wheels from Ken. But what tool rest/ grinding jig to pair with it. The CBN wheels are 1 1/2 inches wide. The Veritas will acommodate only a one inch wheel. Which rest/jig is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Yes, I too am tired of grinding away on sandpaper altering angles on my plane blades. These 60 year old hands are hurting in the winter. Time for the Rikon with CBN wheels from Ken. But what tool rest/ grinding jig to pair with it. The CBN wheels are 1 1/2 inches wide. The Veritas will acommodate only a one inch wheel. Which rest/jig is the best?
    Mark,
    I cut the Veritas one to fit. A hack saw and a bit of filing. The aluminum is easy to cut. Couple minutes and it fit the wider wheels just fine. Alternatively if you don't want to desecrate a brand new rest then I think the Tormek ones are the pretty solid albeit pricey. The Tormek system and family of jigs is a plus when you do a variety of things.

Edit; I forgot to mention the Wolverine one. Very solid; I used one at school for a while, the tool rest for grinding "flat woodworking tools" is dead simple and basic but well made.
    Last edited by Vincent Tai; 01-01-2019 at 4:59 PM.

A plain-Jane 6" grinder with whatever wheel comes with. An upgrade to a white wheel later is cheap enough. A better rest would be nice, but hardly necessary as long as whatever comes with the grinder won't move when it's tightened.

Don't overthink, or overspend. You just need to be able to present the tool or cutter to the wheel at an angle. The rest is cake. Dip frequently in water while you're learning, but you'll be able to dispense with this later. Unless the tool is chipped, the grinder should never shorten it. You don't grind to a burr when reestablishing or creating the primary. Only your honing stones create a burr.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 01-01-2019 at 5:55 PM.

Thanks for the helpful information Vince & Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    If you want to use the Veritas grinding stand, simply saw out the excess to fit it to the width of your chosen CBN wheel. It is made of aluminium and easy to work. You can also use a thin cut off wheel on a Dremel or 4" grinder.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hmmm...
    IMAG0062.jpgIMAG0063.jpgIMAG0064.jpgIMAG0065.jpg
    Old Craftsman grinder...couple chunks of scrap...maybe a bolts or two....blue cup is filled with tap water....YMMV...

That's very helpful, Steven. I'm sure that the OP thanks you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek & Steve, thank you for your input. I appreciate the many viewpoints to help with my situation!

The metal tool rest was drilled, to except a bolt. Wood was notched for a tight fit around the wheel. Wingnut that holds the toolrest in place was re-used. Range of motion for the tool rest allows me to set the angle I need. There was a jig ( second photo) that I could slide the irons/chisel back and forth. Got so used to doing this by hand, did without the jig. Fingertips on the top of the tool, tells when the tool is getting a tad too warm. Then a dunk into the cup of water.

Have used a beltsander.....and a honing guide, for a long time. MK1 guide rode on the spinning belt, with the belt running away from the guide. Bevel angles were set using the guide's jig. Still have that jig.

I grind to get a decent edge, square and to the angle I want. Comes out a bit hollow ground.....honing guide and the beltsander to flatten the hollow into a single, flat bevel. Then oilstones, and then wet-or-dry paper up to 2,500 grit.....then a strop....YMMV...

I would not use a DMT 220 to do faster work than sand paper, it comes after the 80 gr paper. If you want faster a grinder is the way to go, or belt sander and a jig like Derik's would work too.

As you said you already have a Rikon slow speed grinder I would think a CBN wheel is the best way to go. Use any tool rest you feel comfortable with. I think the Tormek one the best although a bit pricy. Derek’s system is excellent.

Thank you all for your help. It seems a grinder or sharpening system (workshop, tormek, etc.) is fastest. The Veritas grinding jig and tool rest look like a good value and is well reputed. Staying 90 degrees to the wheel is important to me so I can go straight to my honing guide.

Quote Originally Posted by David Silverson View Post
    As you said you already have a Rikon slow speed grinder I would think a CBN wheel is the best way to go. Use any tool rest you feel comfortable with. I think the Tormek one the best although a bit pricy. Derek’s system is excellent.
    For anyone else reading and wondering...the Rikon slow speed grinder, model 80-805 is on sale at Woodcraft through 1/31 for $109.99. I think this grinder gets consistently good reviews and "good bang for the buck" status. I am going to purchase one just to re-establish primary bevels. From there, I go to my Shaptons and put a secondary/tertiary bevel on my plane irons/chisels. I have a high speed grinder at work that I used last week, and it's just too fast, and the wheel grit was too high. I wound up having to go and re-establish all my bevels using my MKII and my Trend 300...took forever! I don't have any PSA sandpaper locally, so that was out of the question... My wife does needlepoint/knitting/crocheting/etc and she is always saying something to the effect of "crap, I messed that up. Let me see if i can fix this with what I have." To which my response is "yarn is cheap, sanity isn't!"

Kevin, I placed my order yesterday. With shipping & tax it will come to about $135, BUT you can request 10% off ( they have a code on the back of catalog which I did not have on me but I they honored anyway ). I ordered the Veritas sharpening platform & jig - Lee Valley has free shipping till Jan 7. Prrhaps after a bit I will consider CBN wheel bit this is a start.

I was curious why no one mentioned the Grizzly slow speed wet grinder for primary bevels. It does a good job at a reasonable price.
    The downside of it is the setup in getting a bevel square to the chisel or plane blade, but as one uses it ,it becomes quicker to set up.