Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Establishing primary bevel

You have the Rikon grinder and it comes with the white aluminium oxide wheels so no need to change them until they are worn to nubs or you have a lot of money to play with. The key to using it is to dress the wheels often to keep them sharp and not glazed over. You can get wheel dressers of all kinds. I made mine from a diamond saw blade that a contractor was using to cut through the 8"concrete floors where I worked. He had several worn ones and gave them to me. You can try road crews sawing up pavement. Cut the wheel into pie shaped wedges with an angle grinder or plasma cutter, dress the edges and poke one into a handle, put a few on the shelf, and give the rest to your woodworking pals. Harder to find that works really well is the end from a rock drill. The kind for drilling blasting holes and cores. They have lots of big diamonds in them and they work well.

The Rikon comes with a diamond dresser, it works well. Good to know about alternatives though, thanks for sharing that.

That Rikon is not the 1 hp one that Lee Valley sells is it?

Quote Originally Posted by David Silverson View Post
    That Rikon is not the 1 hp one that Lee Valley sells is it?
    No, the model I referred to earlier is the 1/2 hp model. However, I hear really good things about it so I will be picking one up...