Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Fastest cutting resaw bandsaw blade

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    You dont say what TPI your blade is? Are all the 3/4" timberwolf blades the same tooth count?
    The blade I have is the 3 TPI blade. I'll verify saw blade tension, and motor belt tension and try again.

    I'll check out the Lenox blade mentioned.

    Let's say I can find a more powerful motor for my saw, like 1.5 - 2 HP setup for 220v, do y'all think that'll show a pretty big improvement in speed?

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Grassy Lake Alberta
    Posts
    666
    Hi Bobby,here is my advice FWIW. I have been down the exact same road you are walking right now. I own a Delta 14''saw. I wanted more power for resaw so bought a 1.5 h.p. baldor motor and installed it and new machined pulleys,and a 6'' riser kit .Still have the saw but rarely try to resaw anything more than a foot long. These saws are not built for Resawing and "improving " them with bigger motors,new tension springs etc does slightly improve performance . The gains however are not sufficient enough to warrant the expense and effort . If you intend to Resaw more than an occasional piece here and there, I would advise spending your money on a different saw. Mike.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tsioles View Post
    Let's say I can find a more powerful motor for my saw, like 1.5 - 2 HP setup for 220v, do y'all think that'll show a pretty big improvement in speed?
    Changing motor voltage to operate on 240 volts won't gain you any power unless you are currently operating at a low voltage condition due to wire size or supply length. Only a HP change larger than the existing motor will give you more power.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA- '71
    Captain USN(Ret)

    My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Doylestown, PA
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Hi Bobby,here is my advice FWIW. I have been down the exact same road you are walking right now. I own a Delta 14''saw. I wanted more power for resaw so bought a 1.5 h.p. baldor motor and installed it and new machined pulleys,and a 6'' riser kit .Still have the saw but rarely try to resaw anything more than a foot long. These saws are not built for Resawing and "improving " them with bigger motors,new tension springs etc does slightly improve performance . The gains however are not sufficient enough to warrant the expense and effort . If you intend to Resaw more than an occasional piece here and there, I would advise spending your money on a different saw. Mike.
    I think Mike has it. A 14" saw will resaw but not fast. A motor upgrade may help but IMO a 14" cast iron saw will not support a 'real' resaw blade - 1 or 2 teeth/inch and deep gullets to carry away the saw dust created by cutting thru 10" or 12" of solid wood.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clayton , North Carolina
    Posts
    83
    If I understand what you are doing, why not make a pre-cut on your table saw (if you have one) so instead of resawing 5 1/2 inches of wood you would only be resawing 2 1/2 or so. Should cut the time down significantly.

  6. #21
    If I understand what you are doing, why not make a pre-cut on your table saw (if you have one) so instead of resawing 5 1/2 inches of wood you would only be resawing 2 1/2 or so. Should cut the time down significantly.
    +1 on this. Or just do the job on your table saw in 2 passes

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    9,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Tsioles View Post
    Folks,

    Looking for some advice. I have a project that's going to require me to resaw a bunch of standard pine 2x6 dimensional lumber. I currently have a 3/4" timberwolf blade. The feed rate on a test 2x6 was way too slow, like 10 minutes or so for 1 pass, which required a fair amount of pushing to get it through the saw. Now I am running a Jet 14" with the 6" riser block. I know, not a great saw, but I'd think it should be good enough with the fastest / easiest cutting blade.

    I've been searching for other blades, and am wondering what your opinions are on which blade is the fastest cutting bandsaw blade available? I'm guessing it's going to be a "carbide" tipped blade like the resaw king or trimaster.

    Again, the main thing I'm looking for is speed. I don't care much about the quality of the cut because I'm going to run everything through the planer afterwards.

    Thanks!
    Bobby
    Bobby, that blade must be extremely dull, you should run an 8 foot board through in about 1/4 of that time............Rod.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    5,461
    There was a test of blades for 14" BS's in FWW #169. You might want to take a look.

    I'll add my opinion to others who have said that if you want to do much resaw work you should look for a saw designed to do it. I have a Delta 14" with riser. I put a 1.5 HP motor on it; it helped some. I've tried quite a few different blades, including the Woodslicer (great for a few feet but dulls very quickly in hardwood). I made due with it until I just couldn't stand wasting so much time and finally ponied up for a BW designed for resawing. It's amazing what a BS with a heavy steel frame and a 5 HP motor driving a low tpi carbide blade at 4500 fpm will do.

    John

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Bobby, that blade must be extremely dull, you should run an 8 foot board through in about 1/4 of that time............Rod.
    Or gummed with resin from cutting pine. Construction lumber is horrible for sap--which will create enough drag to make it feel like a very dull blade. Quickly. Hope to never again have to do a piece of "farmhouse" furniture!!
    earl

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •