Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this corner shelf design work?

Will this corner shelf design work?

Corners in houses stink. What do you do with the them? I have one that really needs a corner shelf.

corner shelf.JPG

Will this shelf shape work. The plan is to use brass pilasters with the snap top in clips for shelf supports, With one 3/4" from each 45 deg corner and two along the right side (one 3/4" from the short side, and the other 1/2-3/4 of the way to the 90 deg corner).

The overall dimensions are 24" on the long sides, and 12" on the short side.

None of the corner shelf units I have seen have a shelf of this shape. Will this shelf stay put if the load is only on the front edge?

Blog Entries
    Is this the type of shelf you are contemplating?
    shelf.JPG

If so you will probably want to have supports below the shelf as you described and at least one back in the corner above the shelf holding it down to prevent rotation if something heavy is place on the outside unsupported edge.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It will be a freestanding unit with four sides and six pilasters (two on each of the long edges and one each one the shorter edges, biased toward the angled side).

So the shelf is just sitting there from gravity, right? If so, the shelf will likely stay put with nothing sitting on the shelf. But if you put load just along the front edge, there will be some load at which the shelf overturns. You need to have some fastening scheme near the rear that holds the shelf down, as well as up.

Having a hard time understanding your design. I've never made one that is a square box sitting in the corner. I never take a hard point on the cabinet into an inside corner of the wall. If drywall is used, the inside corner of the wall is never a tight corner and the cabinet will not mount in properly. I always go across the corner at a 45 degree angle and make the front of the cabinet parallel to that back angle. Only have a 3 point shelf support. One on each side support and one in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    The pictured image is entirely inadequate to convey your idea.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

corner shelf1.JPG

This is what it would look like in full.

Each shelf will be supported by six pilasters (two on each of the long edges and one each one the shorter edges, biased toward the angled side).

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So the shelf is just sitting there from gravity, right? If so, the shelf will likely stay put with nothing sitting on the shelf. But if you put load just along the front edge, there will be some load at which the shelf overturns. You need to have some fastening scheme near the rear that holds the shelf down, as well as up.
    But will it? That is the question. I don't see the moment of torque that would cause it to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Is this the type of shelf you are contemplating?
    shelf.JPG

If so you will probably want to have supports below the shelf as you described and at least one back in the corner above the shelf holding it down to prevent rotation if something heavy is place on the outside unsupported edge.
    No. There is no place to mount the pilasters for the short edges.

This image tells the whole story. But why would you want to hide many of the items on the shelf and make them difficult to access?

In what way? What do you propose?

Blog Entries
    I would make 1x4 shelf supports and mount the shelves on them. You could rout a decorative edge on the supports.
    See this link. It might be a good opportunity to add to your shop.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hors...per-95668.html
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-02-2019 at 12:24 PM.

In what way? What do you propose?
    Observe the size of the shelf and the relatively tiny opening you have provided. Also look at successful corner cabinet designs and emulate their properties.

creative-white-corner-cabinet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Observe the size of the shelf and the relatively tiny opening you have provided. Also look at successful corner cabinet designs and emulate their properties.

creative-white-corner-cabinet.jpg
    I was not able to find any relevant or successful designs for my space. That is how this design came about. The one you have pictured is not next to anything, therefore not equivalent to my space. This works in that space and for that situation, but that is not my situation. Place items 12-14" deep is directly against it on both sides. How do you reach the shelf?

Redesigning the piece is not the question. The question is how prone will the shelf be as drawn to tipping up in the back with pressure at the front edge? Half of me says no problem, the other half says big problem.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 01-02-2019 at 1:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I would make 1x4 shelf supports and mount the shelves on them. You could rout a decorative edge on the supports.
    See this link. It might be a good opportunity to add to your shop.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-hors...per-95668.html
    What do you mean by 1x4 shelf supports?