Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermally Modified Wood

Thermally Modified Wood

Thermally Modified Wood - Has anyone worked with this? Is it suitable for furniture? It looks like it could add some color to otherwise bland wood.

I have used the poplar. Machines well (like poplar). Many of the characteristics carry over but it is dark thru and thru. I used it for a bunch of picture frames...

I've used torrified ash for stools and picture frames. I've used it as an accent strip on a cedar strip kayak, too. It stinks when working with it, but otherwise, it works very well.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Anything that is done differently for finishing? I've been working with some modified Ash and am planning on using boiled linseed. Curious if there's anything I should know or expect.

My wood monger sells it as "Cambia Ash", and I've used it on a few small things like boxes, mostly because of its dark color. I would think it would be fine for furniture. The marketers claim that the molecular structure of the wood is changed (killed) by the heat, which virtually eliminates movement caused by expansion and contraction. (Note that I used the word "claim.") I have noticed that it seems to stay flat after sawing and planing.

I've noticed no difference in the way it glues or finishes, but I've only used varnish on it.

There is a significant reduction in strength once treated, so choose where to use it accordingly.
    I had a job specifying 1 1/2” squares of it in ash to be used for stair newels. I refused to use it in that critical of an application, and used 1 1/2” Ipe instead . Everyone was happy.

I have not used it yet, but I find it very interesting and attractive. The process pretty much eliminates moisture via changes in chemistry. I had not heard what Peter mentions about strength, however. I've been considering buying some to test for use for some smaller things I make simply because of the rich color.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Has anyone heard of or seen T modified 2x10 and 2x12?
    WoodsShop

Here's a box made with it and regular ash. This was right after I got my i-Box jig and yes, I just had to try one with contrasting wood. It gets even darker, of course, with finish. Almost black like ebony.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nick, that looks nice...and validates my idea to try some for my CNC produced boxes and ornaments because of "that color".
    --

Thanks, Jim.

Wouldn't kiln dried be thermally modified wood? This is a rhetorical question!

Thermally modified takes it to a higher temp, which is what darkens it. Kinda like baking it but not burning it. I guess.

Is this done from one solid piece of wood or is it friction welded from smaller pieces like plywood? i am not aware that friction welding of wood has moved outside the lab.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Wouldn't kiln dried be thermally modified wood? This is a rhetorical question!
    As Nick mentioned, Thermally Modified is well beyond kiln drying. In a nutshell, the wood is "baked" at high temperatures, but avoiding combustion. The material actually changes chemically so that it's no longer prone to absorb moisture.
    --