Thread: How to clean anti kickback fingers on Jet JWP160s?

How to clean anti kickback fingers on Jet JWP160s?

So I have a Jet JWP160s planer and I need to clean the anti kickback fingers on it. They are supposed to hang freely on the rod they are on, but mine do not! I can push them up and they stay up! ;-(

So anyone familiar with this set up? I'm guessing they are gummed up from pitch and whatnot (I bought it used), is there something I can spray on there? Or do I need to disassemble it? Anyone know how to do that? the manual has nothing to say about it!!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Scott, the problem with cleaning them in place is that stuff may drip out onto the wood you're planing.

I've removed them from the machine for cleaning..........Rod.

Yeah, I think I’m going to have to figure out how to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Scott, the problem with cleaning them in place is that stuff may drip out onto the wood you're planing.

I've removed them from the machine for cleaning..........Rod.
    Yep, I removed the whole unit from the machine today. Turns out a couple of the fingers were bent causing the assembly to be too wide to fit between the keepers on the ends of the rod and working correctly.

Should be easy enough to flatten in a vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Should be easy enough to flatten in a vise.
    Indeed, I actually used the anvil on the back of my vice and a 2 pound mallet to nicely convince them to flatten out! ;-)

So I threw all the parts, except the rod they hang on, in a tumbler for a couple hours to clean them up. Put it all back together and it now works just as it should.

Scott I was at my shop this morning and looked at my Delta planer. Was going to post that it looked fairly easy to pull apart,mine just had a set screw holding the rod in place on the ends. Glad it all worked out,kinda fun fixing stuff,eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Scott I was at my shop this morning and looked at my Delta planer. Was going to post that it looked fairly easy to pull apart,mine just had a set screw holding the rod in place on the ends. Glad it all worked out,kinda fun fixing stuff,eh ?
    Yeah, been fixing stuff for years! Mine had a set screw on just one end of the bar holding it. Just a matter of getting in to it and figuring stuff out!