Thread: band saw blades

band saw blades

There are different tooth styles on band saw blades like hook, skip, regular etc. Do you always use the same style or do you use a different style on say a 1/2 inch 3 tpi blade for cutting bowl blanks than on a 1/4 inch 6 tpi blade for cutting a pattern out of 4/4 flat stock? I've always used just skip tooth but have often wondered if I've missed something.

From most aggressive to least aggressive it is hook, skip and standard. In general terms, there is not much overlap in the same sized blades. Very thin blades (3/16" and under) are usually standard, above 3/16" and below 3/8" are usually skip and above 3/8" are usually hook. Standard is zero degree rake, skip is zero rake as well but every other tooth is "removed" and hook teeth have a positive rake. When the properly sized blade is in the overlap areas with two options you simply choose the one that matches whether you are looking for an aggressive cut or smoother finish.

For very deep cuts where the finish is not important (like bowl blanks) a hook tooth blade makes sense, pattern cutting in 4/4 stock usually it makes more sense to use a skip tooth.

Again, where the tooth types overlap it all comes down to how aggressive you want the blade to be.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Another general rule of thumb is to try to have at least three to four teeth in the wood when cutting, so finer blade for thin stock and a lower tooth count for thicker stock. You didn't tell us what saw you're using, but for cutting bowl blanks I think I'd use at least a 1/2" hook with as low a tooth count as you can find. Also note that low tooth count (and hook tooth) blades are aggressive and tend to grab the stock, and bowl blanks tend to be odd shaped, so be sure your stock is well supported and can't roll into the blade, and make sure your fingers are well away from the blade path if any grabbing does occur.

Thanks for the replies. I did run across an excellent post about blades and I think it was by you Van. I've copied it and will study it. My usual supplier, Ellis told me they're not going to carry wood blades anymore. Since they're a metal machine manufacturer I understand but it sure was handy to call up and place an order, then pick it up later in the day. I'm amazed at all the different configurations of teeth with Timber Wolf having a "super claw" whatever that is.