Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermally Modified Wood

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Wouldn't kiln dried be thermally modified wood? This is a rhetorical question!
    Its done in a large vacuum chamber Chris, which is what allows the higher temps. I played with some looking for an alternative to Azek that was more fun to work with but the availability and cost are still too high. It is much more brittle that the original species I noticed, but mostly it is the cost that killed it for me.

@Bill Dufour: The product that I use is one solid piece of wood, usually ash or maple. It's not thermally welded layers.

@Joe Wood: I've seen 2 x 4, and 1 x 6, but I've not been looking for anything bigger, so it may well be available.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

A big reason for using exotics is color. T'wood could provide some options.

(T'wood = toasted wood)

Sources anyone?

I get mine from Metro Hardwoods near Kansas City (Independence MO). They're a subsidiary of Liberty Hardwoods (I think), which might have a retailer near you. As I said, the commercial names are Cambia Ash and Cambia Poplar. I see they also do red oak and soft maple, though I haven't seen those.

My guy told me they recently sold a bunch of the ash for tables in a restaurant remodel.

I would add that I've never seen a knot in any Cambia that I've purchased or seen in the store. My guess is that they only select clear lumber for processing.

I forget exactly what I paid per bd. ft., probably a couple dollars more than regular ash. The overall price would probably vary depending on your location. Also, Metro Hardwoods is more of a retail store than a traditional lumber yard, so I'm used to paying higher prices. Not as high as a Woodcraft/Rockler, but higher than some are used to.

The "specialty woods" division of the local, independent, full-service lumber yard/home center near me carries "toasted" wood. They market it to builders/remodelers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I seem to remember people would take small pieces of wood and bury then in hot sand to change the color. This same process is used to sterilize instruments during surgery. The local high schools seem to have switched from staining to using a propane torch to color pine projects.
    Bill

https://priorclavena.com/steam-autoc...am-autoclaves/

My local hardwood supplier has talked about carrying it. I haven't been there in awhile but hope they do because I'm seriously thinking of using the ash for an upcoming house door project. It seems to address every disadvantage of using regular wood for an exterior door, unless you want a light, natural color.

John

There is an import shop in the town near where I live that sells it along with other exotic imports. This thread has convinced me to go buy some and see how works and carves. It looks really attractive.

I used torrefied maple for a the seats of a teeter totter to provide contrast for the white cedar frame, and found it to be very brittle. It lasted about a day when my nephews showed up. :-)

I'll be interested to hear how that goes. I've never tried carving, but would think its brittleness might be a problem? It cuts and routs fine, but that's with high speed cutters.

I had a wood stove in my old shop and thermally modified all of my mistakes!

Where can you buy the thermally modified wood?
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I get mine from Metro Hardwoods near Kansas City (Independence MO). They're a subsidiary of Liberty Hardwoods (I think), which might have a retailer near you. As I said, the commercial names are Cambia Ash and Cambia Poplar. I see they also do red oak and soft maple, though I haven't seen those.

My guy told me they recently sold a bunch of the ash for tables in a restaurant remodel.
    I saw that stuff at Metro the other day. Looks good.

Jim it is heated in a Vacuum chamber, changes all the rules. I looked into it for an alternative to Azek, but the cost and availability are still no good for me. It is more brittle than the original untreated species as well.