Thread: Milwaukee 5625 bits very hard to remove

Milwaukee 5625 bits very hard to remove

Anyone with this router had a problem with bit not releasing? Router is new. Chipped a 1/2" spiral bit trying to get it out.

Did you continue to turn with the wrench after you felt the first release?

Blog Entries
    As Tom points out, many modern routers use a self-releasing chuck format. From a tightened condition your wrench the nut free, unwind the nut a turn or so and then wrench it again to release the bit. have a couple of 5625's and other Milwaukee's. All share this chuck format.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This also "bit" me with the Milwaukee 5625 the first time I used it..... (sorry,,,bad pun ).

You break the nut - then loosen it by hand until it get's tight again, then put the wrenches back on and break it a second time. The bits just slide out.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I took nut completely off, bit still would not come out. Talked to one of their repair center he suggested to push down on the bit,I had already tried that. I tried knocking it down again and it finally came loose. This collect does not have the second release like other collects.

They should send you a new collet, as well as pay for a new bit.

Blog Entries
    This collet does have the double release. If yours is not working that way it is not assembled correctly. The method of Joining the collet to the nut is in your manual. Basically you set the Collett down, set the nut on top of it and give it a pop with the palm of your hand.

– Samuel Butler

Did you pull the bit up at least 1/8 inch when seating it to prevent it from bottoming out when you installed it in the first place?
    (Judging from the responses you gave, I'm pretty sure you did - you don't sound like a "router rookie",,,but,,,gotta ask,,,if for no other reason than that someone who doesn't know any better might pull this thread up on Google)

I usually drop a "space ball" into the collet of my routers before I stick the bit in to keep the bit from bottoming out.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thank you Glenn, I feel kind of dumb now. I don't think it had a manual. If it did I didn't read it. I wonder why the router didn't have the collet like that to start with.

Blog Entries
    No worries; I've had my share of those moments . It is just weird to me how they supply it the way they do .

– Samuel Butler