Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy restored/refurbished hand tools/planes

Where to buy restored/refurbished hand tools/planes

I'm looking to get into hand tool woodworking. I've done a ton of reading and **think** I have an idea of what I want to get started. In looking for a refurbished plane, I see a couple on ebay and that's about it. I have noticed references to people on here that offer refurbished planes in good working order, but I'm not seeing anyone with any for sale.

I'm coming from having a nicely equipped power tool shop for my busines.

Thank you in advance.

Blog Entries
    Hi Steven,

Are you looking for a fully refurbished plane or would you accept a plane you might have to clean and tune up yourself?

That will make a big difference not only in the price, but the availability.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Since I'm just getting started, I think I'd like a fully refurbished plane. Based on the reading I've done, I'm thinking a jack plane (low angle?), smoothing plane (No. 4?) and a jointer plane (No. 7?) are what I was thinking I'd get started with, along with other tools I don't have and some I do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    Jim,

Since I'm just getting started, I think I'd like a fully refurbished plane. Based on the reading I've done, I'm thinking a jack plane (low angle?), smoothing plane (No. 4?) and a jointer plane (No. 7?) are what I was thinking I'd get started with, along with other tools I don't have and some I do.
    A smoother, jack and Jointer is a good set for all around work.

My only question is about your "jack plane (low angle?)." My LA Jack is mostly used for shooting end grain. My #5 Stanley/Bailey's are used much more. In many cases the wood doesn't care which plane is shaving over its surface. With some tricky woods having a chip breaker is an advantage over having to have blades with different bevel angles.

Another thought on this is finding a refurbished LA Jack will not be easy. Good #5 sized planes are ubiquitous.

A low angle block plane could fill the need for a plane to tackle end grain work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Ahh.. gotcha. So, a No. 5. Any pointers on who sells refurbished planes?

Post an ad in the classifieds.

Timetestedtools....DonW has a nice selection, and they are 90% ready to use out of the shipping box...

If you look, you'll find sellers with excellent feedback with quality tools at fair prices. Some of them, will even sell their planes with sharpened blades ; ) If you really want a deal, you can buy Sargent made planes that perform jut as well as Stanley's without the heavy price tag.

Mike mvflaim
    Last edited by mike v flaim; 12-28-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Steven,

In the area of the country I live in I haven't had much luck at antique shops, flea markets, etc. and have had to go to the big online auction site to find planes worth purchasing. You still never know what you will get and I purchased one plane that was supposedly tuned up, "sharpened" and ready to go - when I received it the blade was nowhere near sharp, the chip breaker was set about 1/4" from the edge of the blade, and the blade was bevel up...Paul Sellers has some great content on how to tune-up a hand plane if you end up with a vintage plane.1

Whelp.. I think I have enough to get started. I really appreciate the replies in here and in PM's. I have a lot of learning to do. In general, this will be a very slow moving exploration for me. I have a wonderful shop full of all sorts of tools and machines - Festools, Sawstop, 5' x 8' CNC router, 150w CO2 laser, bandsaws and on and on. There's something very appealing about slowing down and making something with a minimum of tools. For me this will mostly be gifts and furniture for my home.. I think

Again, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    Whelp.. I think I have enough to get started. I really appreciate the replies in here and in PM's. I have a lot of learning to do. In general, this will be a very slow moving exploration for me. I have a wonderful shop full of all sorts of tools and machines - Festools, Sawstop, 5' x 8' CNC router, 150w CO2 laser, bandsaws and on and on. There's something very appealing about slowing down and making something with a minimum of tools. For me this will mostly be gifts and furniture for my home.. I think

Again, thank you!

Wait until you go down the rabbit hole.
    Don;t be surprised if you start making planes

Down the rabbit hole...

That's a good looking plane. Who made it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    That's a good looking plane. Who made it?
    ebay seller birdman

it it is a very nice restoration. I’ll be buying more from him when I see them.

Blog Entries
    The view of the lateral lever makes it look like a Stanley/Bailey type 8 or earlier.

jtk