Thread: Recommend a 12" or 14" RAS blade

Recommend a 12" or 14" RAS blade

Have a Delta MX2 series vintage RAS that will take a 12" or 14" blade with 1" arbor. Not finding a lot of options. I will be using mainly for rough crosscuts and the occasional dado work. I would like to find a good blade, not ridiculously expensive, suited to the machine. Any ideas?
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Wouldn’t just about any 12” CMS blade work?

I agree, for general and rough crosscut work, any of the 12" CMS blades should have zero or negative hook angles and work fine on a 12" RAS. If you want to go up to 14" plan on spending some serious money.

Everlast.

I have an old Delta/Rockwell turret saw that size. I have a couple 12" econo CMS blades and a 14" industrial blade that came with the saw. I use the 14" when I need a glassy cut or need the extra crosscut capacity. I send the 14" out for sharpening. The 12" are cheap enough to use and lose.

Most RAS blades will range in the -5 to +5 degree hook. To run with much positive hook I'd want good spring tension on the blade return to compensate for the desire of the hook angle to pull the blade towards me. Dave

I use FS Tool in my Omga. Happy.

I use an Amana 14” TCG in for my Dewalt GA. Crosscut only, I can’t remember if it’s a 0 or negative hook. I would buy another if needed. Didn’t break the bank. Guys over at the Dewalt saw forum are really high on the Freud LU83.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Wellman View Post
    Freud LU83.
    That's a thin kerf combo tooth blade with a pretty aggressive hook angle. It sure wouldn't be my first (or even third) choice for a 12" RAS blade. A 12/14" saw has plenty of power to run a full kerf high tooth count low angle cutoff blade. The only RAS I ever ran a thin kerf blade on were the little 1/2-3/4 HP DeWalt MB series saws.

I use a Forrest Chopmaster on my Delta 12" RAS. Their Woodworker I also works well for a RAS. Both are available in 1" arbors and 12" or 14" diameters. I use Forrest blades on all my saws; I've not found a better blade.

For rough cutting, which is what the original question was for, there is no need for an expensive blade. I'd buy whatever is available cheap in a 2-pack, such as:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1...44VP/305505790 and don't bother to get one sharpened at that price to start with.

For dadoes on a RAS, the Dewalt dado set works better than expected, and price is not too bad. I keep one on a RAS set for 3/4" plywood. That is just used for carpentry jobs, like building roof ladders, and such.

I keep another RAS that is set up for perfect 90 degree finish cuts, like tenon shoulders, and crosscuts. That's all that saw is used for, and no rough cutting with it. It has had a Woodworker I on it for decades, and sometimes a good crosscut specialty blade.