Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My music box project

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    No, I don't have a Steinway. I have a 6' Young Chang. I drew up the plans myself by taking the overall dimension of a concert grand and figuring out the rest. I took some pictures of the piano plate and resized it to fit in my outline. The rest is a bit hazy, but I'm happy to send you the plans that I have.

There's a great video on making a miniature Steinway concert grand. It proves my belief that, no matter how good you are, or think you are, there's always someone better. Check the video out.
    That is insane! Incredible. Maybe there is hope for me - I have the same stereo microscope. (Ha!) I don't have the thousands of hours it would take - the action, the carving on that one, zounds.

I played a Young Chang years ago - it was a respectable piano. I touched a Bösendorfer once.

My piano tech said the Baldwin pianos have gone downhill over the years, is that right? Perhaps I was fortunate to get mine when I did in 1980. Especially for the cost - I simply cannot believe the prices for new pianos today.

I've afraid this thread has diverged quite a bit from the OP's music box project. To get back somewhat towards the subject, I planned to make my piano music box with a thin glass piano-shaped plate to let the action show after lifting the lid. To fit the movement then would require either cheating on the case height or making the whole thing a little larger in scale.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That is insane! Incredible. Maybe there is hope for me - I have the same stereo microscope. (Ha!) I don't have the thousands of hours it would take - the action, the carving on that one, zounds.

I played a Young Chang years ago - it was a respectable piano. I touched a Bösendorfer once.

My piano tech said the Baldwin pianos have gone downhill over the years, is that right? Perhaps I was fortunate to get mine when I did in 1980. Especially for the cost - I simply cannot believe the prices for new pianos today.

I've afraid this thread has diverged quite a bit from the OP's music box project. To get back somewhat towards the subject, I planned to make my piano music box with a thin glass piano-shaped plate to let the action show after lifting the lid. To fit the movement then would require either cheating on the case height or making the whole thing a little larger in scale.

JKJ
    I do think we're getting close to hijacking this thread. I'd love to talk to you more about miniature pianos, but perhaps we should do it by PM as I doubt our conversation would be of much interest to other members.

I agree with your tech that Baldwin isn't what it once was - then again, neither is Steinway except for the larger models.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    I do think we're getting close to hijacking this thread. I'd love to talk to you more about miniature pianos, but perhaps we should do it by PM as I doubt our conversation would be of much interest to other members.
    Good idea - I've sent an email to you through the SMC system.

Oh my goodness!!!!

https://www.musichouseshop.com/store...148048002.html

I could not imagine spending that much money for a music box. I've never seen nor heard a 144 note before.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Ernie, thanks for detail on that piano "pick an' play". I remember a teacher telling us that Paderewski always used his
    own carried in a special rail road car.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Ernie, thanks for detail on that piano "pick an' play". I remember a teacher telling us that Paderewski always used his
    own carried in a special rail road car.
    Yup, but those days are over. Liberace was under contract with Baldwin and they supplied the pianos for his concerts. He did, however, travel with a plexiglass lid which was used in place of the wooden lid the piano came with. Nowadays, I doubt any of them bring their own pianos - too expensive!
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.