Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My music box project

My music box project

Nice teaser-Let's see (and hear) it in action when done please!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Nice teaser-Let's see (and hear) it in action when done please!
    Yes, show the finished music box.

I love to make them. BTW, if you can get some, sassafras makes a great music box due it its tonal qualities, especially if you put in to feet so the sound can get out the bottom.

JKJ

Love making music boxes for gifts. I made 3 this year. I get 4 inch beveled glass discs off ebay to recess into the top under the lid and the movements without the plastic box. Everyone i gave them to last year loved being able to watch the movements as it played.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris A Lawrence View Post
    Love making music boxes for gifts. I made 3 this year. I get 4 inch beveled glass discs off ebay to recess into the top under the lid and the movements without the plastic box. Everyone i gave them to last year loved being able to watch the movements as it played.
    Chris,
    Have you ever tried one of the large 72-note movements? The music on these is incredible, especially with a good sound board.

Decades ago I bought a 72-note Reuge movement (made in Switzerland) that plays Hungarian Rhapsody #2. I got it from the San Fran Music Box company and I think I paid around $250 for it. I still haven't made the box - my idea was to make a model of my Baldwin grand piano.

music_box_movement_Reuge.jpg

Just for fun, I did an internet search to see what one was going for today. Gasp! I found out they are rare since the Reuge company apparently quit selling just the movement. Music boxes with these movements seem to be selling for $2000 to $8000 and higher. Now I'm almost afraid to put it in something I would build. I'm not worthy!

Bare 72-note movements actually available (from other manufacturers) go for $400-$800.

JKJ

Once you get past the cheap Chinese made movements they jump in price to real expensive. The boxes i make are going to children that could potentially wear them out pretty quick. The cheap ones keep them entertained for a long time and are easy enough to change out when they stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Chris,
    Have you ever tried one of the large 72-note movements? The music on these is incredible, especially with a good sound board.

Decades ago I bought a 72-note Reuge movement (made in Switzerland) that plays Hungarian Rhapsody #2. I got it from the San Fran Music Box company and I think I paid around $250 for it. I still haven't made the box - my idea was to make a model of my Baldwin grand piano.

music_box_movement_Reuge.jpg

Just for fun, I did an internet search to see what one was going for today. Gasp! I found out they are rare since the Reuge company apparently quit selling just the movement. Music boxes with these movements seem to be selling for $2000 to $8000 and higher. Now I'm almost afraid to put it in something I would build. I'm not worthy!

Bare 72-note movements actually available (from other manufacturers) go for $400-$800.

JKJ
    Several years ago I made a music box model of a Steinway concert grand piano. The music plays when you press down on the keyboard. I used an inexpensive movement as I couldn't see spending hundreds of dollars for what is essentially a curiosity.

FULLPIANO.jpg

Ernie
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Miller View Post
    Several years ago I made a music box model of a Steinway concert grand piano.
    ...I couldn't see spending hundreds of dollars for what is essentially a curiosity.
    That's beautiful, Ernie! I like your idea for starting. I'd want the keyboard to scale, too, but making the black keys for all seven (+) octaves might be "too much" fun.
    I can't quite tell from the visual clues - do you remember the scale you used for the overall case? (i.e., the actual width of the model at the keyboard, basically the same on all pianos regardless of the model)

Also, did you make the "cast iron" frame or find it somewhere?

Spending the $100s for the movement might make sense for someone who wants to make these to sell.

https://www.musichouseshop.com/store...box72note.html
    https://www.musicboxattic.com/reuge....l&sortdefault0

BTW, some of the movements, such as all the 72 note I've seen, have three parts or separate songs on the same drum with the pins of each section slightly offset. The drum is shifted a tiny bit at the end of each section to move the next set of pins into place. Fun to watch.
    There are lots of videos of this type of movement, for example this one. Unfortunately the audio recording is not the best.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jZ23DAQHuE

JKJ

That's beautiful, Ernie! I like your idea for starting. I'd want the keyboard to scale, too, but making the black keys for all seven (+) octaves might be "too much" fun.
    I can't quite tell from the visual clues - do you remember the scale you used for the overall case? (i.e., the actual width of the model at the keyboard, basically the same on all pianos regardless of the model)

Also, did you make the "cast iron" frame or find it somewhere?
    JKJ
    Thanks John. It was a fun and challenging project. I toyed with the idea of making the entire 88 note keyboard, but I knew that would be beyond my ability level - each key would be too small for me to work with. I did make the "cast iron" plate myself, out of wood and a whole lot of red auto body putty which I used to make the raised areas around the sound holes.

I have around 100mg's of CAD, photoshop, and Sketchup files for this model. If you think they might be helpful, send me a PM with your email address and I'll gladly send you a zip file containing everything I have.

Ernie
    -Steven Wright.

Am I the only who has this figured out !! The wall and bench are giant fakes and the piano is concert size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Am I the only who has this figured out !! The wall and bench are giant fakes and the piano is concert size.
    Darn! - You figured it out. Still, getting that full-sized piano onto the bench was tough.
    -Steven Wright.

Yes, and note the custom keyboard with just four octaves instead of seven, and with keys are specially sized for huge-handed ogres and incredible Hulks. (And it's one of those special enchanted stringless Steinways too.)

Ernie, thanks for the offer, the outline shape alone could save me some work measuring. I'm starting to get fired up about making one now. Did you start from scratch or get drawings? My Baldwin is a 7' grand and the proportions on yours look to be about the same or longer, although it's hard for me to get behind mine to look because of where I have it.

Perhaps an interesting bit of personal trivia: the concert bench I have is the same one Billy Joel sat on when he came to Knoxville - buying it used from the music store was a LOT cheaper than a new one. When I finally wore out the upholstery a friend of mine told me to be sure to save what came off. Ha! I cut off a piece for him.

Do you have a Steinway? I have an interesting book "Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand" that might be worth reading. It is amazing the effort that goes into a good piano. For example, the action of mine was made in Germany - I'm told the shop was a building inside another building for climate control. I read somewhere that around 9000 individual pieces went into a concert grand.

JKJ

Yes, and note the custom keyboard with just four octaves instead of seven, and with keys are specially sized for huge-handed ogres and incredible Hulks. (And it's one of those special enchanted stringless Steinways too.)

Ernie, thanks for the offer, the outline shape alone could save me some work measuring. I'm starting to get fired up about making one now. Did you start from scratch or get drawings? My Baldwin is a 7' grand and the proportions on yours look to be about the same or longer, although it's hard for me to get behind mine to look because of where I have it.

Perhaps an interesting bit of personal trivia: the concert bench I have is the same one Billy Joel sat on when he came to Knoxville - buying it used from the music store was a LOT cheaper than a new one. When I finally wore out the upholstery a friend of mine told me to be sure to save what came off. Ha! I cut off a piece for him.

Do you have a Steinway? I have an interesting book "Piano: The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand" that might be worth reading. It is amazing the effort that goes into a good piano. For example, the action of mine was made in Germany - I'm told the shop was a building inside another building for climate control. I read somewhere that around 9000 individual pieces went into a concert grand.

JKJ
    No, I don't have a Steinway. I have a 6' Young Chang. I drew up the plans myself by taking the overall dimension of a concert grand and figuring out the rest. I took some pictures of the piano plate and resized it to fit in my outline. The rest is a bit hazy, but I'm happy to send you the plans that I have.

There's a great video on making a miniature Steinway concert grand. It proves my belief that, no matter how good you are, or think you are, there's always someone better. Check the video out.

-Steven Wright.

There is a film,made years ago, about the top pianists picking out which concert grand they wanted to use at ....think is was Carnegie Hall,
    not sure. Showed how those giants are stored and moved. Before seeing it I thought the hall had a good piano, tuned it ,
    and expected the star to use it.

There is a film,made years ago, about the top pianists picking out which concert grand they wanted to use at ....think is was Carnegie Hall,
    not sure. Showed how those giants are stored and moved. Before seeing it I thought the hall had a good piano, tuned it ,
    and expected the star to use it.
    Mel - years ago, my chapter of the Piano Technicians Guild was invited to Steinway Hall to meet with Franz Mohr, the head technician at Steinway. The highlight of the meeting was a tour of the "basement", which is not open to the public. In the basement lived (and still lives, I suppose) about 20 concert grand Steinways. When an artist had a concert at Carnegie Hall, which is right across the street, he/she would come to the basement to select a piano for the concert. Some elite pianists, like Horowitz, had a piano in the basement that was reserved for their use. I was fortunate enough to get a chance to play the Horowitz piano, and was amazed at how poorly it sounded. Mr. Mohr explained that the piano, which was very bright and brittle sounding, was voiced that way so that it could be heard over an orchestra. In a concert hall, the piano sounded wonderful.

Years later, I was doing some concert tuning for Baldwin. A Baldwin concert grand was sent for use by Liberace, and as I tuned it, it sounded terrible. That night, I went to the concert and sat in the rear of the concert hall. The piano sounded great. Thank you, Mr. Mohr, for a fantastic day.
    -Steven Wright.