Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice wanted on rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander and bandsaw

Blog Entries

Advice wanted on rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander and bandsaw

I am considering buying the rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander, I think it’s EB 4424, to compliment my upcoming first bandsaw purchase. Probably a 14” model. The sander that’s $200 something at Home Depot.

I am getting the bandsaw mostly for cutting curves etc, rather than to resaw. The purpose of this inquiry is not about what bandsaw to get. It’s about the sander. Until now I use any combination of : drill press/ jigsaw/ flush trim bit in router/ beltsander clamped upside down, to deal with curves.

The reviews of the rigid sander on SMC and elsewhere seem to be ok for what it is. I’m dont have a fortune to spend. Does this seem to be an ok plan? Any suggestions?

I like mine. I seldom use it, but, when I do use it it works as it's supposed to.
    (sadly, "working like it should" - seems to be some sort of high praise these days when something performs it's function in life..)
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Sure, it sounds like a good plan.
    You don't have to spend big$$$$ to make nice things, or do good work. While a dual sander like the Rigid wouldn't hold up in a production environment, for a guy in his home shop it's perfectly fine. It will probably do most everything you need it to do.
    I've looked at that same sander from time to time, when I've been in the 'Borg.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-28-2018 at 4:47 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I like mine fine, been using it for what you describe for several years. Sometimes wish the spindles were longer.

Tip: Resist the urge to press the work too hard into the spindles. A light touch takes longer but yields better results.

As said, it’s a good little sander. I’ve had one for 3-4 years and don’t use it much but am happy to have it around. That said, I have a floor standing spindle sander and am looking for an edge sander so the Ridgid will be sold as soon as I find it. But without the bigger, more expensive machines the little Ridgid earns its keep.

My brother has had the Rigid for a couple of years and likes it. It would certainly be on my short list for best value as a hobbyist.

-Mike

I had one for 3 years and used the hell out of it until the motor died. Until then it was a great little tool. Replaced it with a Wen, which appears to be the same unit sold by Grizzly and others. I went for the cheapest because I now view it as a disposable tool.
    And the Wen is working fine after 6 months.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Unless something has changed, the Ridgid is guaranteed for life. Some hoops to jump through to register, but then you can dispose of it as many times as necessary.

Blog Entries
    I ran one for quite a while and for $200, it is hard to beat. It is a lightweight machine (about 40 pounds total IIRC) which make it easy to move from shelf to bench. Used within its intended range I think you would be very happy with it. My dad is still using my old one. Its been running nearly 10 years. I did use the LSA after about 2 years and they basically swapped the whole mechanism under the hood so I do not know what actually failed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm using my OSS a lot more these days for small stuff coming off my CNC and even for the kitchen table projects I'm working on currently for sanding corners. Very handy to have and quite often "the right tool for the job". Mine is an old Delta, but the Rigid has been around for awhile and quite a few folks have commented on them in the past. The price is attractive, too. The 4.5" height that most of these bench-top units have covers most of the bases. And if you find that you use it "a lot", you can always move up to a "stout beast" floor model someday as some 'Creekers have recently done.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I had one for 3 years and used the hell out of it until the motor died. Until then it was a great little tool. Replaced it with a Wen, which appears to be the same unit sold by Grizzly and others. I went for the cheapest because I now view it as a disposable tool.
    And the Wen is working fine after 6 months.
    The step up that avoids the disposable issue is the ones that have oil bath gears. The cheapest way to get into them is the Rikon and Jet benchtops that run 400-500 bucks. The lightweight ones that are sold in a huge variety of shapes and colors do remarkably well for the price though.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I’ve had the Rigid for quite a number of years now (do not remember how long but it has been a long time). I am very pleased with it; it has served me well.

By the way Grizzly has a spindle sander 12” disc sander combo. I have one and it’s a very versatile combination that works well for me. I don’t have a need for an edge sander. It might stretch the budget though. I was going to get a Rigid unit but the display model’s plastic housing was broke where the table mounted.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    By the way Grizzly has a spindle sander 12” disc sander combo.
    The one thing to be aware of when buying the G0529 is the plastic helical bevel gear on the spindle.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I've had one for several years & it's had a lot of hard use. I think this sander is one of the best bang for the buck deals around.