Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice wanted on rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander and bandsaw

I have the Ridgid sander and it is a great compliment to the bandsaw. I have the two tools directly across from each other for convenient access and it functions quite well with no problems encountered and seems to be a good value (though I think I saw recently that they had a recent price increase). I use a combination shop vac / dust deputy for dust collection (functions well) though at some point I may plumb it into my main DC system. If you don't have one, I would recommend and abrasive cleaning stick and it can do a good job of sander cleaning when needed.

- Workshop b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    ... used ... it until the motor died.
    Isn't this under the Ridgid lifetime warranty ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Isn't this under the Ridgid lifetime warranty ?
    Probably. I should have looked into it, but was just pissed off and wanted to finish what I was working on. I would like to say that it was the first time my lack of patience has cost me something, but that would be a lie.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I have had the Ridgid belt/spindle sander for about 15 years, as best I can remember. Even if it dies tomorrow, it will have been one of the best woodworking tool buys I ever made. If they still make them, I will go buy another one. It is not a heavy duty sander but it is extremely useful for the smaller projects I typically make. The only complaint I can think of is that the belt sander is smaller than I would like.

I will be the person to say that I hated my Ridgid Oscilating belt/spindle sander. The coating on the table rubbed off and the aluminum would marks on the wood. The belt never traked well. Spindle worked ok but too short form my use. I was happy to sell it and get a 6x89 edge sander and a floor standing OSS.

I had one of those many years ago. It seemed decent but when I took a detailed look at it it wasn't square. It was like the platen was slightly warped. It was OK for non-critical edge work but if I wanted something to remain square I as limited to one end of the machine and it was a PIA. I ended up selling it. I replaced it with the big, floor standing Grizzly OSS and a cheap 6x80 edge belt sander. They've been wonderful to use and have been a perfect addition to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bender View Post
    I had one of those many years ago. It seemed decent but when I took a detailed look at it it wasn't square. It was like the platen was slightly warped. It was OK for non-critical edge work but if I wanted something to remain square I as limited to one end of the machine and it was a PIA. I ended up selling it. I replaced it with the big, floor standing Grizzly OSS and a cheap 6x80 edge belt sander. They've been wonderful to use and have been a perfect addition to the shop.
    Cary and Dave, You may have gotten lemons. I've had my Rigid for about ten years. It is square, the belt has no trouble tracking, the platen is flat, and the table coating doesn't rub off. For the price, it is very good. Your new equipment is certainly better, but also a lot more costly altogether.
    Last edited by Joe Spear; 12-30-2018 at 6:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I would like to say that it was the first time my lack of patience has cost me something, but that would be a lie.
    I had a similar experience. I bought one that was a demonstrator tool, at half price. Part of the sales pitch was that, when it quit, I could get a new one under the lifetime warranty. When it did give out, I forgot and cannibalized it. My loss.