Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickings...

Pickings...

Had a bit of Christmas Money to spend....headed down to a Mall.....called "Heart of Ohio"...spent just over $15....
    IMG_7177 (640x411).jpg
    Keen Kutter No. 104, 10" sweep. Walnut wrist handle has two Pewter bands.
    IMG_7179 (640x480).jpg
    Ok..that was $8 of the total....( turned down a Stanley 45, type 3....$200)
    The other half?
    IMG_7175 (640x233).jpg
    Little sliding bevel gauge....
    IMG_7185 (640x344).jpg
    A little different than the one I usually use....
    IMG_7186 (640x480).jpg
    Fancy thumbscrew...a little bit more than the other one I have..
    IMG_7187 (640x358).jpg
    At least they look better than the others...
    IMG_7182 (640x480).jpg
    There was a Stanley all metal version....but it was missing a few parts....like the bolt to tighten the blade...

The place is worth the trip....just bring a lot of cash....

Soo...has anyone ever seen a thumbscrew like that? Not real sure how old it is.

Didn't Keen Kutter stop selling stuff in the early 1900s? Chuck matches the one on my 6" sweep brace...that was made by Millers Falls (1054) and stamped as a Keen Kutter.

Not sure as to what wood the bevel gauges used....the one with the lever has Rosewood for the handle.

Picked up a try-square today....still cleaning it up....has a patent date stamped into the rosewood handle. Just checked, there are 2 patent dates stamped into the handle. Apr 16 17 and July 28 89....was only $5 + tax...pictures, when I have it all nice and cleaned up.

Tri-square....
    patent dates.jpg
    A Mr. J. P. Ulmholtz was the original owner....7-1/2" along the top edge.
    name plate.jpg
    Even stamped his name on this side. Brass has a "T" cross-section...blade is inlet into it.

Thought this looked like one of my other squares..
    2 old squares.jpg
    Fingergrip has "Stanley" and a patent date stamped out on the end of the blade....Pat. 2. 8. 98

Other than the extra length, and the handi-grips...almost the same squares? One might be a tad older?
    Not too bad of a day?

There used to be a dealer in the center of one of the aisles that would sell a ton of planes in the glass cases. He left a couple of years ago but I bought a few planes from him from time to time. Did you see an Emmert Turtleback Patternmakers vise while you were there? The last couple of times I was there, there was one in a booth for $650.

Hello Steven,
    $8! That's a bargain and a real nice user brace well done.
    I think your brace is by Stanley Rule & Level Co, New Britain CT post 1908. The date comes from the chuck which was patented by Joseph Bartholomew (904501) on Nov' 24 1908 and assigned to Stanley. The pewter retaining rings on the handle are classic John S. Fray whose company became part of the Stanley empire about 1906. The No 104 seems like one of the Fray numbering system where 10 is the sweep and 4 is the model.
    I have a Keen Kutter catalogue here dated 1930 with a wide range of braces (p62) branded: Keen Kutter, Oak Leaf, E.C. Simmons Sure Grip, and Bay State which all look like Stanley's to me. On the next page more braces but these are listed under their manufacturers names of PS&W, Stanley and Defiance then finally on p64 two more Keen Kutter branded, a corner brace and drill brace both made by Stanley. None appear to be by Millers Falls yet on the pages of hand drills and breast drills, as well as their in house brands Keen Kutter also list MF, Goodell Pratt and Yankee. Talk about hedging your bets, I hope this hasn't been too tedious.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.

Steven,

The thumbscrew looks like the same variety that was used by Disston and Morss on other tools they made. They typically marked their goods on the wood, but if it's pretty worn, it's probably long worn off.

The chuck matches the one on My 1054 brace...6" sweep. Has the Keen Kutter Logo stamped on the chuck. And has a "KR6" stamped on the arm. Fully enclosed "Boxed" ratchet. Rosewood sweep handle doesn't have the pewter rings....Logo is more of a Triangle shape....

I also saw about 4 or 5 old work benches....most were a little too pricey, for me....$1100.00 to $1500? One had it's metal end vise removed...and still wanted $1200 for it...sheesh.

Was just looking for tools I didn't have....

Hello Steven,
    Unfortunately I've never seen an example of the Millers Falls 1054 brace to compare but I'm confident that the photo in your original post is of a brace made for Keen Kutter by the Stanley Rule & Level Co.
    Lay them out side by side and you may find a subtle difference between the two chucks.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.

Here ya go...
    IMG_7195 (640x424).jpgIMG_7196 (640x480) (2).jpgIMG_7197 (640x374).jpgIMG_7199 (578x640).jpgIMG_7200 (640x480).jpg
    6" is stamped KR6 The 10" is stamped No. 104. 6" is fully enclosed, the 10" is not. Top handles..6" has the ball bearing style, 10 does not.
    The 6" cost me $25, the 10" cost was $8 I do have a 6" Stanley....it has the Barber style chuck....

Cue duelling banjos music.......these three all 10" and Keen Kutter branded. The one on its own with the ball bearing head is marked KR10, the pair one with enclosed ratchet is No 106 the open ratchet 104. These are all by SR&L I believe.
    I reckon that your 6" is actually made by SR&L and not Millers Falls, but I'd love someone to show me the error of my ways.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go to the Millers Falls site and look at the Brace section....and, notice that that chuck is only used for that group of drills...with the 1054 being the 6" size.....

Old Tool Haven, I think is the site where all things Millers Falls can be found....and Goodell-Pratt, to boot...

My money is on Mr. Emms.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mr Bailey.
    Yes Oldtoolheaven is the go to site for Millers Falls and Goodell Pratt no doubt.
    Also a good read is the book "Stanley Woodworking Tools" by Walter Jacob which is where I get a lot of information.
    I think the art work for the 1050 -4 series jaw shown with the chuck on the MF site looks the same as the jaws in Peck and Powers 1879 patent No 212110.
    I wouldn't hesitate to dismantle the chuck of a brace to answer a question but am reluctant to push another to that extreme.
    Cheers, and all the best for 2019
    Geoff.

Why. Am. I. Not. Surprised......just about normal response....for mr. bailey....

So..mr. know-it-all.....about those squares......? Hmmm?

Latest tri-square is indeed stamped with not just one patent date, but two.....also has the STANLEY stamped above each patent date. And, when did the handi-grip first arrive in these handles?

Emms: Couldn't really care less, as these will be my USERS....merely thought some people would like to see them....along with..
    braces.jpg
    A selection of the sizes I have.....6" to a 14".....YMMV
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-31-2018 at 1:57 PM.

Good finds Stephen

Does anyone know why some sliding bevels are not as acute on the ends, the way more modern designs of them are?

Happy new year folks
    Tom