Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite

Mesquite

As a kid my family lived out in the country mostly here in rural Texas. We lived on a 25 acre farm that mainly had mesquite trees and I also learned real quick how to repair my own bike tires . My dad did alot with mesquite from turning bowels and pens and a few other things on his lathe to building furniture and such, and this was his hobby to relieve the stress he had from being a rural lawman at the time.

I do know it is kinda hard to find a mesquite tree long and striaght enough to get some decent lumber out of but in the few wood working forums including this one no mention of mesquite except for grilling and smoking .

Being a native Texan I thought of trying my hand in working with mesquite since I have friends and family that live out in the country that have land where this tree grows and wonder if any others like on this forum works with it?

I work with mesquite a lot. It's beautiful wood. Nothing like the aroma of freshly milled mesquite. There are several places in TX to source lumber. Berdol Sawmill near Austin is a great source for both lumber and slabs. Faifer & Sons near San Antonio (Floresville) is where I get most of mine.

It combines really well with both cherry and walnut.

This is a Morris chair I made recently in mesquite. Finished with Osmo PolyX oil, turquoise inlays.

IMG_4088.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by marlin adams View Post
    ...I thought of trying my hand in working with mesquite since I have friends and family that live out in the country that have land where this tree grows and wonder if any others like on this forum works with it?
    I like mesquite for woodturning. I have quite a bit but since it doesn't grow here all I have was given to me over the years, mostly as tree sections, some at least 10" in diameter. I slice it up on the bandsaw, usually into fairly small turning blanks. Cuts and finishes nicely.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    I work with mesquite a lot. It's beautiful wood. Nothing like the aroma of freshly milled mesquite. There are several places in TX to source lumber. Berdol Sawmill near Austin is a great source for both lumber and slabs. Faifer & Sons near San Antonio (Floresville) is where I get most of mine.

It combines really well with both cherry and walnut.

This is a Morris chair I made recently in mesquite. Finished with Osmo PolyX oil, turquoise inlays.

IMG_4088.jpg
    WOW love the chair Mike My dad made alot of furniture for our house including the bunkbed I had in my room and my sisters bunkbeds in their rooms for when friends or family visit they had a place to sleep and a chair similiar in the one you made except if I remember his had straight arm rests.

It is very stable. About 30 years ago I got a mesquite log off a wood pile and turned it round . Without any drying procedure I put it on the shelf for later use. 30 years later I grabbed it for a project and there were no cracks except in the pith center. The bugs love to eat it so don't leave the cut wood laying around. They will chase you into the shop trying to get a bite of your fresh wood.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I like mesquite for woodturning. I have quite a bit but since it doesn't grow here all I have was given to me over the years, mostly as tree sections, some at least 10" in diameter. I slice it up on the bandsaw, usually into fairly small turning blanks. Cuts and finishes nicely.

JKJ
    I am leaning toward doing something similiar in upgrading from my 9 inch bandsaw to a 14 inch and getting a benchtop lathe too.

I like mesquite, it works better than expected with the crazy grain.

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Hinton View Post
    I like mesquite, it works better than expected with the crazy grain.

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg
    That is what I remember from when my dad work with it Heck there was plenty of times my friends come over from school and thought I had the coolest bed LOL.

I like Mesquite and have built a couple door units with it. Tough to get the right pieces for a door though. Lot of waste needs to be factored in.
    Mesquite door.jpg

Definitely check out Berdoll Sawmill near Bastrop. The owner, Brandon Berdoll, is a stand up guy and very knowledgeable. They are experts at milling and drying Mesquite. They also spray it with a borate solution when it comes out of the kiln to prevent re-infestation of wood boring insects. Here's my latest project featuring their wood.

TFMS Ribbon.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Adams; 12-30-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Adams View Post
    Definitely check out Berdoll Sawmill near Bastrop. The owner, Brandon Berdoll, is a stand up guy and very knowledgeable. They are experts at milling and drying Mesquite. They also spray it with a borate solution when it comes out of the kiln to prevent re-infestation of wood boring insects. Here's my latest project featuring their wood.

TFMS Ribbon.jpg
    Joe did not mention the ribbon on the "hat". It made quite a hit at the 19th Annual Texas Furniture Makers Show in Kerrville, TX in November receiving the Judges Special Award. There is a Mesquite show here in Fredericksburg, TX in October each year with all different uses of Mesquite shown from pens to major furniture. Good weekend viewing both.

Thank you for the kinds words, Thomas.

Yes, both the Texas Furniture Makers Show and the Mesquite Festival are well worth the trip. Lots of great craftsmen (and women).

Blog Entries
    I built a Brazos Rocker at Homestead Heritage near Waco Texas.
    It sits in my living room and is made of mesquite.

I have also made maple chairs.

Once you make one, they tend to grow like rabbits. I have made eight chairs for relatives and friends.

Google "Brazos Rocker".
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 12-31-2018 at 10:25 AM.

One of my favorite woods, but I only manage firewood lengths. EAB1AB44-0412-4F6D-8DED-628BC7942376.jpeg

15. IMG_0823.jpg

I live in Arizona so mesquite is often my go to especially when it comes to turning. I would normally go into my back yard and cut off a chunk as I needed it.

However, a few years back we had a microburst (Google this, they are fascinating) and it literally pulled a full grown tree out of the ground and the it thru the bloch wall into my neighbors pool, patio, etc. I now have enough mesquite to last a lifetime.