Thread: Simple Spindle Lock for Laguana Revo or most other lathes

Lightbulb Simple Spindle Lock for Laguana Revo or most other lathes

I have posted a video on YouTube of a simple way to keep the spindle on my Laguna Revo 1836. But it will work on most other lathes that do not have a way of keeping the spindle locked.
    No drilling involved and it works great. Easier to watch how it works than to try and explain it. Just a few minute job.

Gary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzExi1D8sak&t=163s

So simple, so effective; just brilliant.

I have had my Laguna 24-36 for one month now, I was looking at how to do something like that with rare earth magnets.

What is the size of those magnets?

Mick.

I use one of those 3" round magnets with a hole in the center that HD and HF sell on my 1836. I put a 1/4" bolt through it and used a nut on each side of the magnet to jam it in place. Leave about 3/8" sticking out of the bottom. Lock the spindle, insert the magnet and it works just like Gary's. When not in use, I just stick it on the top of the lathe.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Here is a thread showing John Keetons method and my method using magnets.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....dle-lock/page2
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

To each their own, I guess... I use the spindle lock all the time with wrench or tommy bar with no problem... Once a slight pressure is applied, the button stays in until the tightening or loosening is done, and then pops out on its own... Great feature in my view...

Ely

Quote Originally Posted by ELY WALTON View Post
    To each their own, I guess... I use the spindle lock all the time with wrench or tommy bar with no problem... Once a slight pressure is applied, the button stays in until the tightening or loosening is done, and then pops out on its own... Great feature in my view...

Ely
    I think mostly people arn't looking to lock the spindle in place just to remove a chuck...just using the red button and loosen off the chuck works, as you say, I lock it in position if I have a spot on a bowl in the end grain that has a bit too much tearout and doesen't sand that well while the bowl is spinning. I use the lock that I came up with to hold the bowl stationary while I sand that one spot out.

Magnets size

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    So simple, so effective; just brilliant.

I have had my Laguna 24-36 for one month now, I was looking at how to do something like that with rare earth magnets.

What is the size of those magnets?

Mick.
    They are 1/2x1/2 inch. Plenty strong enough.
    Gary

Ely
    A wrench and tommy bar is great for removing chuck. For putting a large bowl blank onto a wood worm screw have the spindle is helpful for me. I also wanted to carve something on a turning the other day and locking the spindle helped a lot.

Ely
    I use that method most of the time but for some things it is very useful to lock and have it stay locked. For the PM3520b I use a steel slide to hold the button in. On these lathes the button sticks out from the surface and is flush when locked.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Asch View Post
    They are 1/2x1/2 inch. Plenty strong enough.
    Gary
    Thank you very much, I have some 15mm diameter by 10mm thick magnets that should do perfectly.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I think mostly people arn't looking to lock the spindle in place just to remove a chuck...just using the red button and loosen off the chuck works, as you say, I lock it in position if I have a spot on a bowl in the end grain that has a bit too much tearout and doesen't sand that well while the bowl is spinning. I use the lock that I came up with to hold the bowl stationary while I sand that one spot out.
    Yes, I use the indexing lock to keep the spindle in the same position for dealing with tearout, carving, etc... All low-torque operations that do not overly stress the indexing pin (unlike chucking and unchecking). Works great!

Ely