Thread: Can I safely sand an end grain cutting board after applying mineral spirits

Can I safely sand an end grain cutting board after applying mineral spirits

I made a couple end grain cutting board as gifts. This is only the 2nd and 3rd board I have done so I am still learning. Since I ran out of time and the recipients live close (and are family) I asked if I could have them back to add some more finish. On inspection I can still see some sanding marks that I would like to get out as well as a bit of roughness that has developed after the first few coats of mineral oil. Is there any reason I can't sand them with a ROS - probably 150 - 220 paper - and then continue with the finishing after I am satisfied with the smoothness?

Thanks
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-27-2018 at 7:01 PM.

Sanding after oiling the boards will mean the sandpaper will clog more easily. You'll have to change or clean the sandpaper more often.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

You can wet sand with the mineral spirits or oil. I wet sand often with "danish" oil that I use as finish, usually by hand. A ROS should work but it could make a mess.

I almost always wet sand with a white eraser "soft sanding block".
    sanding_soft_block.jpg

You can also remove scratches with a cabinet scraper, then fine sand as needed.

JKJ

I think John J. is spot on with the card scraper (or scraper plane) to remove the visible scratches and then hand sand.

John

Well I don't have a card scraper or scraper plane and I would rather stick with what I know for now. I did use the ROS briefly - it didn't take much to get rid of the visible scratches. I have already applied some more mineral oil and they are looking much better. I'm still kinda new to cutting boards and I don't want to overdo it and make it worse. I will keep getting better as I do more. Thanks for the advice. I will remember for next time.

Title says "mineral spirits". Body says "mineral oil". Which is it?

In either case, just sand. M.S. won't seriously affect the ROS paper as it flashes off relatively quickly. If the mineral oil has had a few moments to soak in and you wipe away the bulk of the excess, it will speed up the clogging of the paper but not much. Just get to work.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Yea I meant to say mineral oil in both cases. I have already done the sanding and it's all good. Thanks all!