Thread: Lie-Nielsen Were To Buy? / Price Point?

Lie-Nielsen Were To Buy? / Price Point?

I have been looking for a used LN Violin Makers Plane No.101 but have not had any luck, so I am going to purchase a new one.
    I know there prices are the same no matter where you buy, but is there any place that has free shipping or some kind of rebate or promotions?

Thanks
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I usually buy LN tools from Crafstman Studio. They offer free shipping on orders over $75, at least they did last time I ordered from them. If it's in stock they usually ship the next day. I've been pretty happy with them over the years.

As for that plane, it's a great little tool. I bought if for lutherie but I have used it for a number of other projects.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I’ve also had good experience with Craftsman Studios. I’ve also bought directly from LN and had great service.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I usually buy LN tools from Crafstman Studio. They offer free shipping on orders over $75
    Thanks for the lead and I have purchased from Crafstman Studios in the past and they are a good company, but now they have a flat rate of $8.99 for all orders.

Not that big of a deal but I thought I would check...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-27-2018 at 7:49 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    My experience has been if you purchase something at one of the Lie Nielsen Tool Events they will ship it free.

If Chicago isn't too long a drive for you there will be one at the Chicago School of Woodworking January 25 & 26. If you call ahead, they can likely bring one to the event for you so there is no shipping.

Their tool events are worth seeing at least once.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Thanks for the lead and I have purchased from Crafstman Studios in the past and they are a good company, but now they have a flat rate of $8.99 for all orders.
    Curious about that new flat rate shipping, I placed a violin plane in my basket to see how they calculated shipping. To ship to Florida the rate was $3.99. The $8.99 flat rate applies to anything over a pound. But I will miss the free shipping...

If you go to the store in Maine you get a 10% discount-or at least you used to. And you get to tour the factory if you ask nicely. Just sayin'.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I think a trip to Chicago or Maine would be fun but a little to far for a $100.00 plan

Looks like Crafstman Studios is the best rout with the $3.99 rate thanks again.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I think a trip to Chicago or Maine would be fun but a little to far for a $100.00 plane

Richard
    I was reading the comments and thinking the same thing. As a minor side trip on an otherwise intended journey, sure; but Michigan to Chicago (the closer proposed way to avoid shipping charges) is not a trivial journey, even if you have an amphibious vehicle rated to cross Lake Michigan (that is, rated for ocean travel; those lakes have a history of ship sinkings worthy of any ocean).

But, if you get to Chicago, one of the art museums there has (or had, long ago) Seurat's "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte," which was worth the price of admission all by itself when I was in Chicago in 1967. I spent 20 minutes walking slowly toward and away from the painting. At a certain distance, the painting dissolves into a bunch of dots; take one step back, and it becomes a lovely pastoral scene. An amazing effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    but Michigan to Chicago (the closer proposed way to avoid shipping charges) is not a trivial journey, even if you have an amphibious vehicle rated to cross Lake Michigan (that is, rated for ocean travel; those lakes have a history of ship sinkings worthy of any ocean).
    I've crossed Lake Michigan many times from Chicago all the way up to Mackinac Island. While the Lake can get rough at times, it's usually pretty tame. Just avoid crossing in October. It can get pretty rough late in the season. Been there, done that.

Chicago is nice as I have been there a few times. The fairy from Ludington works great on the S.S.Badger
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    Chicago is nice as I have been there a few times. The fairy from Ludington works great on the S.S.Badger
    Interesting my wife was met when we both worked for a company called Badger Meter. The company made test equipment for the Bell System. It all fell apart when Judge Greene's decision broke up AT&T.

If one were just traveling to only purchase a plane, then it would seem superfluous. A Lie-Nielsen Tool Event is not only a great place to handle their tools, there are other tool makers with their wares. There are often demonstrations of techniques and new tools. In Oakland, CA the events were held in an artist studio (guild, cooperative or something) called the Crucible. There was a demonstration of metal casting. Glenn Drake was demonstrating his two handed dovetails saw. In Portland, OR John Economaki of Bridge City Tools let folks try his shoulder plane and other tools. It was as awesome as the price tag. In Seattle, a saw maker was showing his wares. My memory of exactly who is a little fuzzy. What was interesting with his saw was it cut very well, he was rightfully proud of his work. My biggest takeaway from this was a saw of my own sharpening at home cut very much like his. This let me know my sharpening was on track.

There were other demonstrations. My recollection is Steve Latta did an inlay tutorial in Oakland. It seems there is always someone performing a sharpening demonstration.

Here is a link to their event page:

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/hand-tool-events

It seems the schedule stays about the same from year to year in many locations. The link to past events near the bottom of the page indicates some of the places they have held events.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-28-2018 at 2:44 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)