Thread: Newbie scroll saw decision

Newbie scroll saw decision

I'm looking to get a scrollsaw, and get into projects with my grandson. I have done a lot of surfing to get educated on what's out there, and although a DW788 would probably be a real good choice, I'm looking at alternatives. My goal is low vibration, variable speed, blade changes (need both pinned and non-pinned capability), and looking for input. I was gonna go cheap with a new WEN 3920, but I think it's not gonna be something I would use long-term, so why not go with a quality machine in the first place.

Help me out with suggestions.

I'm in NE Ohio.

thanks

I think the Excalibur scroll saw is a much more capable tool than the DeWalt. It's also a bit more expensive.

The DW is a good entry level scroll saw. Dremel is another one to look at.

The old cast-iron scrollsaws like the Powermatic 95 and 1200 would be hard to beat for low-vibration, but changing blades is a bit slower. If needed, you can always remove the pins from pinned blades and use them in most scrollsaws designed for pinless blades. I've heard good things about the DeWalt you mentioned, and it's probably the best bang for the buck in a new scrollsaw.

If you aren't averse to old iron, you might have a look for an old Delta 24-inch scrollsaw. Cast iron frame--very low vibration and the thing is amazingly quiet. Blade changes aren't difficult or slow. I have the one that was in the shop my dad and grandfather shared. I used it a great deal then. My son who is 14 now enjoys it. I'm getting ready to build a stand for it to free up my sawhorses. I would expect you could find one in good working order for a reasonable price.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 12-27-2018 at 5:33 PM.

These are a good mid priced unit. They also have a very large table.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-wkk4...00.750.png?c=2
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Newbie Scroll Saw

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    These are a good mid priced unit. They also have a very large table.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-wkk4...00.750.png?c=2
    That looks good.

As luck would have it, I finally decided to post this querie today, and this morning I found a DW788 down the street, with stand and light, for $300.

I'm picking it up tonight.

Thanks for all responses, and I'll be now posting all my newbie scrollsaw questions when I get to using it.

thanks

Here's a King Industrial which appears to be a copy of the Excaliber which is no longer manufactured by the company in Canada whose name I can't immediately remember. I have the 21" Excaliber and like it. The big advantage of the Excaliber/King design is the table remains flat while the saw mechanism tilts so when you are doing angular cuts, you aren't fighting gravity while trying to follow the cut lines. They also make a 16" model which is several hundred dollars cheaper. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/2...702d3ae3000c4b
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....