Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cantek CT-108 edge sander?

Cantek CT-108 edge sander?

I’m wondering if anyone can offer some insight on the Cantek ct-108 edge sander? I’m placing an order for a Cantek 20 inch planer and 12 inch jointer and saw that they also carry this edge sander . I had been lookng at the Grizzly edge sander and it’s similar in price but doesn’t oscillate. Both are CSA approved, which is why I’m looking at these two.

Had not heard of Cantek before, just looked a bit, and you can buy similar sized equipment for considerably less from Grizzly, be aware the belts for a 6 x 108 edge sander are a bit pricy. Ordered some about a month ago, about 25 each. No idea about the quality of the Cantek machines.

Cantek is a pretty good value, way cheaper than grizzly. We've got a couple of cantek pieces, they aren't stellar, but for what we paid they're solid.

Before buying my Oakley I was thinking long and hard about getting the 12" Cantek edge sander.

I can't speak to the specific edge sander but Cantek is sorta a low-end commercial importer. Their product line doesn't dip as low into the hobby level as Grizzly does. I think of them in the same quality/price area as Extrema. Given the option of Cantek or Grizzly on a similar machine, I would choose Cantek.

I am also not sure which Grizzly model you are comparing it to, they have a lot of edge sanders. I was also confused by your statement since I don't think the CT-108 oscillates but maybe you were referring to one of the Grizzly models.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The Ct-108 is not an oscillating sander either.

In my limited experience the oscillation is an important feature.
    Mark R

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I can't speak to the specific edge sander but Cantek is sorta a low-end commercial importer. Their product line doesn't dip as low into the hobby level as Grizzly does. I think of them in the same quality/price area as Extrema. Given the option of Cantek or Grizzly on a similar machine, I would choose Cantek.

I am also not sure which Grizzly model you are comparing it to, they have a lot of edge sanders. I was also confused by your statement since I don't think the CT-108 oscillates but maybe you were referring to one of the Grizzly models.
    Hi Van,
    You’re correct, the Cantek doesn’t oscillate. That may take it out of the running. I was looking at Vega but the extra certification costs put it over my budget. The G0564 from Grizzly has excellent reviews but I’m wondering how it compares to the Vega machines?

Due to the large sanding face oscillation is not that important. You will wonder how you ever did without this sander.

I have the G0564 Grizzly edge sander, bought it used, but like new. No experience with the Vega so can not comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Due to the large sanding face oscillation is not that important. You will wonder how you ever did without this sander.
    I agree with the second part. But, I think oscillation is huge! Either the sander oscillates or the user does. I would never buy an edge sander that does not oscillate.

An edge sander that doesn't oscillate is a good candidate for a large ship anchor (or small boat depending on who made the sander)

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    An edge sander that doesn't oscillate is a good candidate for a large ship anchor (or small boat depending on who made the sander)
    Have you ever used one? My Grizzly G1140 works well. I would have like an oscillator, but couldn't justify twice the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Have you ever used one? My Grizzly G1140 works well. I would have like an oscillator, but couldn't justify twice the price.
    The difference on an edge sander is pretty significant, I would do my best to never own another one that didn't oscillate. Plus the JET OES is less than $100 more than the G1140 shipped. That is not to say you can't get the job down with a non-oscillating version, especially with one that has a tilting table which allows the operator to "oscillate" the work piece.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    An Oakley, a mattison, several Ekstrom's. Those others don't weigh enough for me. I did have Newton that didn't oscillate, so glad I was able to sell that machine. I hate scratch Mark's.

Any way to adjust the stroke length that you know of on an Oakley Darcy? Mine would be much better at more than the thickness of the material typically used, which is 3/4"

Oscillating is better. But it's not the end of the world. I got by for a long time with a fixed Ritter. I don't think it has anything to do with scratch, I may be wrong on this, but more to do with clearing the abrasive to get a more consistent cut and lower temps on a longer piece. The trick with a fixed one is to tilt the table fore and aft, and use more of the belt at once, if possible

Oscillating is better though.