Thread: Single phase to three phase converters

Single phase to three phase converters

Is this a viable option to do to allow the use 3 phase powered tools?

If so, are there certain requirements/specifications to aim for, seems they are rated bu HP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Is this a viable option to do to allow the use 3 phase powered tools?

If so, are there certain requirements/specifications to aim for, seems they are rated bu HP.

Thanks
    Hello Chris,
    A rotary phase converter is the way to go for running 3-phase commercial machinery in a home shop with only single phase electrical service. There are TONS of threads devoted to the subject here at SMC. Do a search and be ready for the plethora of info available. I have used an ARCO 5 Hp.rotary for years and swear by it. It will run one 5hp 3ph machine and 3hp 3ph dust collector simultaneously. And, it only cost me $165 at a country auction back in the '80s. Cheap 3-phase power any way you look at it.

For starters, you will need an available (at least) 40 amp, 240 volt circuit from your home breaker box to run a 5hp (rated) RPC, with adequate sized wiring and plugs to your 3ph machines. Consult a licensed electrician to see how feasible and economical this is for you. There are many experienced DIY'ers here, but we cannot give specific electrical advice in this forum.

Enjoy your venture into bargain 3ph woodworking machinery for your home shop.

Check many of the metal working forums. Tons of info on actual builds of RPC units.

I think the VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) is second to the rotary converter. The least favorable option (and cheapest) is the static phase converter. I run both a 2hp 3 phase milling machine and 5hp engine lathe off of one. You do loose some hp using a static converter and they can make a motor run hot but I’ve been running my machines on one since the mid 90’s. If I knew then what I know now I would’ve gone with the VFD. I’m not sure they were even around in the mid 90’s.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

There are also the digital phase converters like the Phase Perfect. Just start searching the forum and you'll have more than enough info!

I'm running eight machines via individual VFDs, from 1/2 to 5 HP.

VFD’s for me. I’ve got 4.

For three phase motors 3HP and under, VFD's are very inexpensive and in my opinion the only way to go. For that matter, I buy new tools in that HP range with 3 phase motors so I can have variable speed (if applicable). I also have a static phase convertor on my jointer and it works great!

Just finished hooking up 2 VFD's to 2 new motors on a milling machine that was built 50 or so years ago. Re-winding the original 440V motors to 240V was to costly. Also the VFD is relatively easy to add a pendant control box.

Blog Entries
    Over about 12 full load amps (just under 5hp/4kw) the name brand vfd's get pricy. Though the turn key rotary phase converters are more than the 5hp vfd's

Finally found a set of videos that really help me understand a VFD, or at least how to install one.

This will help me in my quest to possibly buy a used 3 phase Shaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXcMBvfjH00