Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shop sound

I use my phone / Pandora with a Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 4 portable, blue tooth speaker. Best portable speaker I've ever heard.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Looking around a little on my own, I’m guessing Chris used one of Amazon’s Smart Plugs, or a third party one. But these are limited in amperage, highest I found was 12 amps, and most are 120 volt.
    You can use the low capacity smart plugs to control a contactor that is your actual power switch for a bigger device...it's no different than the simple wall switch I use to control my cyclone in a closet. The "switch controls the switch", as it were...but with using Alexa or similar smart home systems, you're just adding voice control.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Actually in the middle of trying to build out a new sound system for the garage. I currently just have a little Logitech Squeezebox Radio out there and I use my Bluetooth 3M Worktunes when machines are running. Was thinking of four speakers off a 2 channel amp that has multiple inputs so I can do Bluetooth, AirPlay and RCA/Coax/SPDIF/etc. Just trying to figure out a good amp. This Yamaha recently caught my eye (LINK).
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You can use the low capacity smart plugs to control a contactor that is your actual power switch for a bigger device...it's no different than the simple wall switch I use to control my cyclone in a closet. The "switch controls the switch", as it were...but with using Alexa or similar smart home systems, you're just adding voice control.
    Jim said it I bought a contactor that operates on 120v . I put it in an 8x8x6 plastic junction box and used a heavy duty appliance extension cord to make the connections for the air compressor and a power tool replacement plug to connect the coils to the Wi-Fi switch. Took under 20 minutes to make
    Last edited by Chris A Lawrence; 01-04-2019 at 8:34 PM.

Thanks Chris and Jim. This is such a great forum.

Jon

I have two Sonos Play 1's (the old version) and am going to add a Playbar. I also have a TV and its speakers are terrible, hence the playbar. I have ~500 sq ft and it sounds good. Use my iphone to control.

I have a set of 3M Worktunes with Bluetooth,
    but mostly I'm rockin to my vintage Sherwood receiver playing thru 4 EPI speakers.
    I can hook my phone to it thru a simple patch cord to listen to internet radio.
    If the cops show up one day, my life will truly be complete.

I have a Bose Sound Dock that I keep an Ipod in the dock. It has a small remote control so I can turn it on/off, change the volume or the song from anywhere in my shop. For noisy periods I use my cell phone with Bose noise cancelling wireless ear buds that reduce the shop noise and allow me to hear/talk on the phone when it rings. I also use the noise cancelling ear buds for grass cutting and tractor seat time, they are also great for the times when the females are nagging me

Bose QC35 Noise cancelling headphones with bluetooth.

I bought a Logitech BlueTooth receiver. I listen to Pandora through my smart phone. The phone transmits BlueTooth to the Logitech device ($25) and it is connected to a Craig's list receiver and a set of big speakers. The amp(s) and six speakers have enough power to rattle stuff off of the shelves, so I never turn it up too far (ha ha )

I am currently playing the Bose radio/CD and my old ipod in the Bose speaker. Being a corrugated metal sided building my fm reception stinks. Here in the house I have ceiling mounted wired speakers to the receiver. There we use the Sonos Connect for the wireless music supply. It is great. Listening to Eva Cassidy Radio right now. I'm going to finally add wireless to the shop and go Sonos out there too.

Finally got a TV in the shop
    could not hear it well so I got this sound bar visio 32" 5.1 sound bar 150 bucks
    awesome
    works with my phone/ ipod too!
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-32-...kaAuf0EALw_wcB
    Carpe Lignum