Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop sound

Shop sound

I like to listen to music while I'm working in the shop but my hp computer speaker that I had been using quit working. What do you all use for listening to music while your working?

I generally use an iPod with ear buds and comply foam ear pieces. Knocks back the worst of the noise while still allowing conversation when needed.
    Santa brought me a wireless option this year: https://isotunesaudio.com/products/isotunes-pro

A 45+ year old AM/FM clock radio...
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-26-2018 at 4:29 PM.

I have an older Nakamichi "modular" shelf system that I bought many years ago with AMEX points in the shop now. It has two speakers plus a sub and I only use it for playing my favorite non-commercial station, WXPN.org. It replaced a typical receiver and small metal speakers after the receiver gave up the ghost a couple years ago. I also use 3M WorkTunes noise abatement headphones tuned to the same station when hearing protection is necessary when running the CNC or my J/P. I did try the IsoTunes buds that Roy mentioned a couple months ago, but returned them due to really poor low frequency range performance. (That purchase was supposed to also cover air travel sound needs, but would have driven me nuts without the low end)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use wireless Blue Tooth headphones.

Bosch jobsite radio with a cable for my iPod.

I have a couple of options, both using my iPhone as the source.

I have a Bose Soundtouch 10 bluetooth speaker which throws out a decent volume and nice audio. It's the small Soundtouch speaker.

When I know I'm going to be doing something that's loud, i.e. using my moulding machine, I put on a pair of over the ear headphones. I bought a pair of MPOW H5 headphones that have pretty decent active noise cancelling and also use Bluetooth from my iPhone. These were $60 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Son also just turned me onto a very small Bluetooth speaker a JBL 2 Go ($30-$40). These have tremendous sound for a tiny speaker and last about 12 hours on a charge. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Creative Bluetooth speaker, usually streaming podcasts, NPR1, or Pandora from my phone. Might get an Alexa so it’s easier to talk to.

My shop sounds have evolved over the years. I started out with a Pioneer 6-CD disc shelf system in a shop made ventilated cabinet. Around 2005 I added a 4th gen iPod to the mix and ditched the CD’s. A few years ago I upgraded to a Wi-Fi connected iPod/iTouch. The iPod/iTouch lets me listen to my entire music library, Pandora, podcasts, and lets me stream it to my wireless headphones when max hearing protection is not needed.

To give an idea how old the Pioneer system is, I bought it from Montgomery Wards..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-26-2018 at 6:28 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C Stoltzfus View Post
    I like to listen to music while I'm working in the shop but my hp computer speaker that I had been using quit working. What do you all use for listening to music while your working?
    Bluetooth wireless headphones! Connect to laptop / iphone / ipod. Take your pick! But, my shop is too noisy for 'just' listening...

I use a generic bluetooth speaker from amazon with an echo dot. Makes it easy to change what i am listening to and voice commands to turn my air compressor on and off that is in another part of the house. Comes in handy as an intercom system as well since i have dots in the house to.

I use a FM transmitter connected to either CD player, or computer. This way, shop radio, and "Work Tunes" are connected all the time. The transmitter is a Sconse (sp?) from Walmart (in the auto sound system area,) and now costs less than $8.00. The transmitter uses two AAA batteries. I use the NMH rechargables from HF to power it. A pair give me around 40 hours play time.

Blog Entries
    I have an old laptop that I loaded a lightweight Ubuntu OS on for Pandora. I also have a 1TB drive with a few hundred hours of my own collection on it. This plays through an old Yamaha receiver and a couple of ancient Bose 301's with a sub.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mostly use my phone and Amazon Prime music or Pandora with Iso noise cancelating earbuds or etc. via a Bluetooth when I need hearing protection. Or, just plug the phone to an old set of powered speakers with a sub via jack. Both work well but I've been thinking about going with just an Echo (Alexa) if I figure out a cheap way to connect the Iso earbuds.

I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver with a Polk 5.1 speaker system. Usually listen to Sirius radio thru Dish TV. Also have 42" TV for Dish. Not all of my time in the shop is woodworking!