Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete Newbie with VERY basic questions

Complete Newbie with VERY basic questions

Hi all,

I hope this is a good place to post this. I am completely new to wood turning (or wood working of any kind), and have what I fear are some very basic questions. My wife decided I needed a new hobby, and I thought wood turning looked fun

I have purchased some starter tools and equipment. I have a Harbor Freight tabletop lathe, a set of three carbide tipped tools, safety goggles,filter masks, fingerless gloves, and an adjustable chuck.

Other things I think I need are: some kind of food safe finish (for bowls), tung oil, shop rags for finishing, sandpaper or sanding pads, and, of course, some wood to practice on.

First question: am I missing anything else that I will need to make my first attempt at turning? I want to make bowls, but am happy to start with some spindle work to practice.

Second basic question: In some videos I have watched, turners often drill a whole into the bowl blank and mount it on a screw sticking out of the faceplate on the lathe. My lathe does not have such a screw attached to the faceplate. Is that an additional part I need to buy?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm excited to get going, but still a little confused

John

2. Don’t use rags on a spinning lathe. Ever. Keep long sleeves and lose jewelry under control at all times. If any part of the lathe can catch it it will. Use paper towels to apply finish and wax. Turning can be addictive

John, you are going to get a lot of opinions on your question. The most common advise will be to take a class, find a local club, or find an experienced turner in your area who will give you some hands on help. That is best, but a lot of us are self taught so it isn't impossible. Regarding your screw question. there are many ways to secure wood to the lathe. If your faceplate has holes drilled around the perimeter you can screw it to the block of wood before placing on the lathe. That will have the same effect with a little more security than what you saw in the video. Use good quality screws. Welcome to the vortex, you will learn that there are thousands of ways to spend money on turning tools and equipment. None of it necessary for your first turnings. Enjoy and get lots of practice. It gets easier and your results get better with every turning.

Welcome to woodturning John.
    As far as I can tell, there is no limit whatsoever to the tools you may need or want in future.

But for now you probably have almost enough kit to get started. One thing you will find useful is a book or dvd that explains the basics.

If your lathe came with a faceplate, you can use it instead of the single screw version. Your chuck may have a screw accessory. Or you can buy a single screw faceplate, or easily make one from wood and attach it to your existing faceplate or hold it in the chuck. The standard faceplate is one of the safest workholding devices for a beginner.

Your wife may regret suggesting a "hobby", but this is a fun one for you. She, on the other hand, may not like the shavings or "man glitter" you bring in the house. For bowls, a screw-on faceplate is plenty secure. Just remember you don't want to hit the screws with your gouge or even your carbide tools. Carbide scrapers are forgiving and a great way to start. Your chuck should be able to handle a tenon to secure a bowl. Home canning paraffin makes a good food safe finish for bowls. Welcome aboard.

You mentioned tung oil and rags. That's fine but you have a potential fire hazard. When done using the rag lay it out flat on concrete to dry or take it outside. do not wad it up and put it in the garbage, too many fires have started that way. I use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil for food save bowls. It's won't start a fire and works really great. I'll let the others answer your other questions.

I also wish to welcome you to woodturning it seems you have enough to get started. However I must warn you that once you enter woodturning you must cast all hope aside you are being drawn into the vortex of woodturning. A never ending need for more wood, bigger wood, more tools, larger lathes, oh it never ends. Have fun.

Try to find the nearest club. You can google by state, or some times city. There is also the American Assn. of Woodturning and they have a club listing. Videos can be good, but nothing beats hands on instruction, and clubs have mentors and demonstrations. Oh, they have wood too, though anything in the fire wood pile is fair game...

I have a bunch of turning videos up on You Tube, mostly about bowl turning, but sharpening as well. The carbide tools are nice, but you need standard gouges and a skew as well, depending on what you end up turning... I am out in Oregon if you get out that way...

robo hippy

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Where do you live, John?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

What you need more than anything else is a bottomless supply o* time, cuz that spinny thingamajigger will suck all of it up. Every last bit.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice! I'm afraid you will all be right about falling down the rabbit hole of turning I am already looking at more tools, cool wood, and new projects. I've been watching more videos, and will see if I can find someone local to "shadow". My wife does stained glass, and she has put the first two (very rough...) pieces she made over my work bench so I won't get discouraged when my first piece doesn't come out perfect

John

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Where do you live, John?
    Just updated my location in my profile - I'm in Birmingham, AL.

You don't need that screw. In fact I don't like using it. Like others have said try to find a club. It doesn't mean you can't try on your own, it just means that you'll spend less time making mistakes. Plus they will give you safety tips and maybe even access to a grinder and help sharpening tools (sooner or later you are going to get a high speed steel bowl gouge). Did your lathe come with a flat face plate? I like using a face plate because I can securely screw it to a bowl blank. I screw into the part of the bowl that's the inside that will be removed. The "worm" screw you talked about can be tricky if you are inexperienced.

Hi and welcome John!
    Do NOT worry about your first piece coming out perfect. My first 3 bowl attempts never even got to the finished stage, they were SO bad.... I guess they were practice.....
    About the videos on line. Some (very few) have some questionable techniques being shown. So if you watch one that makes you think, hey, that doesn't look too safe, move on and watch another. Robo's videos are all awesome to watch and learn.

You can pretty well turn any wood that is solid - no cracks or voids. It should be pretty uniform in whatever shape, other wise you lathe will 'go for a walk' if you are too much out of balance. Start with a slow speed and work up to faster to check vibration level.

Just chuck it the lathe and turn it round! Find a club, but don't be afraid to start, just easy cuts and not aggressive! The tools you have will work fine, and no 'special' wood needed to start. You will just progress to better wood and projects as you learn. Don't be in a hurry and just enjoy it. Don't expect to turn out a "perfect" project right off the bat, but you will get there...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...