Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Doug Fir Alaskan yellow cedar master build.

Hi Patrick,

the he doors are looking fabulous and are an elegant solution to a tough problem-I left knee walls behind in my last house and can’t say I miss them.

Jim’s suggestion is what come to mind for me as well.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

This is what I’m gonna do for the miters atop each door jamb. I’ve settled on a .75x3” flat stock casing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmQ1m-SSdlU

Then I have two outside miters in the base..

I’ll do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmQ1m-SSdlU

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hpavdqau2g

And then the inside corners of the base and where the case dead ends into the case I’ll just put a double tipple tenon of sorts that’s fully blind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hpavdqau2g

Windows are gonna be treated all their ow and wait till next winter as they will have shoji and I really need to design a track and casing solution that works for the space on a whole. Right now it’s just to much to think about considering I have never built shoji before.

Overkill for trim, yes. But it’s only in going overboard that I can get myself interested in working on my own home.

Started milling up the stock for the trim yesterday.

Some will think I’m nuts but I purchased 8/4x10-16’x12” material for this whole project. My first reason being wanting all the material to be from the same batch and or close to it as to get uniform color and grain.

Well so much for that as I’m gonna run short. Short enough I’ll have enough to run the base and case in the room proper and build maybe the chest of drawers and bench seat. The hallway stairs and base and case will all have to be sourced again. I would have had enough but sadly two sticks where complete garbage full of checks so bad they can’t be used to even make toothpicks. Being 8/4 and at $11 a bf that’s $4-500 down the drain. Oh well that’s what i get for not buying pre dimensioned material like a normal person.

My second reason was wanting to be able to resaw and get book matched stiles for the doors and matching headers. I’ll achieve This largely in the bedroom proper. Sadly I also ended up with sticks that are very traditional and tight grained toasted brown then these wild more open grained ones with like rainbow colors.

I be an by ripping the sticks down into 7 and 4” sticks. I left everything full length as to retain as many options as possible. It has been my experience that you can only read a board so well in the rough and things that looked fine rough milled end up problematic. So as long as I can get my thickness without concern I leave everything as big as possible till o can see exactly what I got.

What I had left of the df prior to milling. As it sat I had maybe one board extra if all went well. At this point my only concern was actually getting tow finished pieces of 3/4 out of 8/4 material. Sadly much of it barely measured 2”

2A610881-4D9C-415D-92C2-40373DA2AE6E.jpg

I often don’t get all the talk about band saw blade tension yada yada yada. All I can think is people are trying to do something with a tool not cut out for what they are trying to do. I used to have a Laguna 14/12 and I also struggled with setup and results. With this saw I barely even pay attention to blade tension. Set it to about a 1” as it’s a 1” blade and it’s good to go. I did not even bother jointing a single edge on any of this material. I had a helper hold up a end and catch but otherwise I just held it tight to the fence and the blade tracked perfectly.

B91BE246-28CE-4952-BA18-3A3718DC7201.jpg

7BAFAB6B-6A3C-465F-A065-E727EA74FB4D.jpg

E670B173-2596-4971-854D-5594B3028BFC.jpg

01524B90-7BF2-4922-8FEF-44B24597F4D9.jpg

Pretty stuff.

74E61D9F-6C25-4B64-BA76-6C76DE5A5093.jpg

Almost everything resawn but two sticks. Dam holidays keep interrupting me getting something done.

42228EDB-F7D8-40E5-B8C6-39BF7CF6070B.jpg

Bet more than one person round here doesn’t believe my shop ever gets dusty. But it does I just clean up totally everyday. The fuzzy nozzle gets taken to even the floor.

26E8C275-EEE4-4E6F-AE12-866497526D99.jpg

I also dont get the whole jointer length thing. It was overkill for this project to throw the extensions on but I did as I was scared trying to get a finished 3/4 might be problematic with my boards flopping around. With these tables I get as much support at the Martin. And honestly it only takes a decent level to set them up. No more than 30 seconds a piece. Still the change over from jointer to planer is annoying if you forget and or mess a stick up. Other than that it works pretty darn well.

49FD3D91-7A25-4BD7-B66C-FA6760B448CD.jpg

7C1BDDF1-395A-408A-8A80-11E825C07084.jpg

Everything but the two long sticks or rather four long sticks dimensioned up. Gotta roll slider out of the way to get these through the planer. Kinda nightmare but Hines.ty when do I ever use 14’ sticks. Twelves I actually use all the time.

1A36F6CE-EA0C-424F-946D-395D6499F3A2.jpg

Then this reminded me of the insert vrs straight knife thread. Cleaning this mess to rotate those cutters is gonna stink.

A4BA754B-D5C3-416F-A4F2-464561B5281D.jpg

There is the potential this is it for progress on my vacation for this project. With one more holiday to go and a 15 year old house guest, oh and my dog needing a sudden surgery this coming Friday I have a feeling I’ll be lucky to mill those last four sticks and joint a edge and rip and plain to final width.

I really was hopeful I would get the machines setup for the mitered corners and get my system dialed in so all I had to do was do it. Sadly the Felder sliding table shaper was part of that plan and I have to have it out fo my shop by the end of the weekend and on its way to its new owner.

What are you gonna do I suppose I can cut em by hand or do them in the table saw.