Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Doug Fir Alaskan yellow cedar master build.

Wow Patrick, that is a sweet feeling when everything slides into place! What a door! And those hinges are like jewelry.

From one Patrick to another: Beautiful work, absolutely beautiful.

Odd observation and random question: What type wall plug outlets are you using? I have not seen the square type but intrigued with them. Might just be i have not been paying attention . . . .

Thanks mark.

The hardware well outdoes my handywork. Glad it comes off s jewelry as that was my intent. The lighting in the room will do and be about the same. Pretty much artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Wow Patrick, that is a sweet feeling when everything slides into place! What a door! And those hinges are like jewelry.

Thanks patrick.

The switches are by Legrand. Pretty slick stuff. They have all kinds of stuff. Outlets that push in so you can’t see the plug. Push them and it pops out and you plug into the side.

Also full wireless control if that’s your thing. Not mine so mine are just regular. Plus usb and or whatever else kinda cords you might like can be fitted.

https://www.legrand.us/adorne/produc...hoCEQEQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    From one Patrick to another: Beautiful work, absolutely beautiful.

Odd observation and random question: What type wall plug outlets are you using? I have not seen the square type but intrigued with them. Might just be i have not been paying attention . . . .

Got the passage set on today and the double seller door.

Opted to not make a jig and just do it by hand. For one door I think it’s faster and if you have sharp tools can come out just as nice as a router and jig.

I actually love installing hardware. I like high stakes tasks. Funny I got into higher end Woodworking after giving up ice and rock climbing. I found a similar satisfaction to high end Woodworking and not being a bale mess up and every move matters as I did climbing. The last few years I climbed I would often climb solo sans rope. Maybe not very smart “you never climb ropeless beyond your ability so it’s kinda mute point. But you know there are always things out of ones control when climbing without ropes. How Woodworking can fulfill a similar desire I don’t know but it does.

After the time it takes to get to this stage with these doors one simple mistake would maybe not ruin everything to the average person. But if your after perfection and perfection really matters to you as it does me one little slip and you might find the attainment of satisfaction of a job well done impossible.

0E8FCB1B-2BF7-4FD0-BC07-00815ECF4352.jpg

95D346B7-BF21-40F8-AEBF-5114C5F98F7A.jpg

As mentioned jewelry like..

D4C41FB2-E985-4615-B636-4F8DF3F1EC0A.jpg

058FF4CE-1448-4FD8-BC13-2377B5E7779A.jpg

One of the cooler things about these doors is the color changes through the day drastically. At it,was they have a soft almost milky tone. Other times of the day they have a very amber deep tone. I’ll have to factor this in as I design the rest of the room including trim flooring and furnishings. I’m actually going to build all the furniture going in this space also chances are next winter. A bed, bedside tables, coffee and end tables for a seating area and credenza for under a tv.

058FF4CE-1448-4FD8-BC13-2377B5E7779A.jpg

Love these half days working in the pajamas.

The dog is loving having me home. He can’t do the stairs anymore. As a result he comes over and let’s me know a-every couple hours come hang out with me you jerk and stop working you nut job your on vacation.

C75EB97A-8AE6-47D6-A45B-4234EB33250B.jpg

Trying to decide on height. My intention was to match everything through and I will over near the entry door and stairs. I actually payed close attention over there to get the top of the middle hinge and top edge of back plate to the knob to sit on the same plain and still get the knob at a standard height and center hinge centered on the door and between the the top and bottom hinge.

6D070796-9988-4496-A798-E87921ADAAE9.jpg

My fear on these doors was the hardware would look to high if I matched the other doors at 35.5” off the fi shed floor. In the end I set them slightly lover but still above 34” so not out of spec for door hardware.

079CBD34-0317-4228-8784-EC5425A4CA02.jpg

DFD20AB0-4F34-49AD-8C37-EE5C6C679AA2.jpg

B0AB2643-BE8D-41B4-B887-8CC2743FE8AC.jpg

61796C9C-94BE-45CB-BFB9-6D083F70E95D.jpg

465EC9D1-B140-4543-8BF5-7D87DDC40C17.jpg

If you see a random blemish in the finish fear not. These doors have only shellac on them. If you follow the thread back I attempted to French polish them after assembly. I could not get in the corners enough to make me happy. I also did not trust myself to glue them up pre finished. So I broke everything back to a Matt finish. I think in the Ned this will be a better look. When the room is all trimmed out I’ll get everything up tot eh same stage and give everything one last coat all together. Then Ill break the finish back to a Matt finish and wax.

More tomorrow. Two more knobs. Some magnet catches and bunch of screws. Then the milling and trim mock ups begin..

The doors are really nice and I love the hardware you picked out for them.
    Chris

All finished..

91997631-E215-4A14-B26E-04CA24CBBDCC.jpg

D6537BE2-3C74-4F27-B7D3-375519EC26A1.jpg

594E5170-5AFE-460D-B02C-7F10AB3E7D40.jpg

Time to get motivated again and figure out the chest of drawers. I can’t decide if I case the opening to match the adjacent door and go with slab style AYC drawers. Or if I case the opening to match the adjacent doors and do a five panel shaker style drawers with df stiles and rails and ayc panels to match the doors.

Whatever I do needs to carry through to the bench seat.

I’m Honestly not thrilled about the built in chest of drawers as I in my minds eye they represent a band aid solution and or mom and pop homeowner solution to just having to have more space practicality being the driving force. I’m not much for being practical and when I don’t like something and or make the slightest screw up and leave it vrs fix it I end up just not happy and able to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Sadly the boss has made clear practicality and storage is on the menu. Now o gotta figure out how best to make it not oook like some hokey homeowner deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    ... and figure out the chest of drawers. ...
    Didn't read back, so not certain exactly where you are contemplating placing the chest, but I was faced with a similar (maybe?) design situation: needed storage in a 2nd story room with low knee-wall sides. Knee wall made the room fairly narrow, but there was lots of room behind the wall due to pitch of roof.

I decided to frame out a rectangular opening in the knee wall, then built a semi-conventional chest. 'Semi' in that it had only front legs, no rear. The front legs were just cosmetic, as the bottom of the framed opening served as main support. And, the front half was cherry/curly cherry, but the back half was BB ply - with the back sized to slide into the framed opening. Result was a conventional chest of drawers that looked like it had been pushed into the wall (only ~4" extended into the room). ...Edit: Front/Back 'half' is for illustration only, it was ~4" out & ~20" behind wall.

(I sealed the BB case, so no multi-legged attic visitors would be inspecting my 2-legged guest's lacy delicates.)

...Doors are looking great!
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 12-28-2019 at 7:42 PM.

Ok opinion time.

I’ll try to not ramble as to keep to the point and not muddy the conversation.

It’s time to decide on trim.

I want a modern clean contemporary look with a Asian flair if anything. Just modern is also fine. The combo is also fine. Furnishings will be very contemporary and Uber minimal. No colors so to speak and or patterns for the most part. Just a quite space that gives one a sense of a deep breath more than anything else.

I don’t want a lot cabin rustic look. Absolutely I don’t want rustic or log cabin.

I intended to use flat stock for the base and the case. Intention is to keep it simple. Keep in mind shoji screens will be in all windows.

I know what I like when I see it and I know when I don’t lie something. Yet here I am asking for opinions.

My first impression of the flat stock was “oh crap” that’s way to much DF and waaaaaaaynto rustic.

Flat stock right, back band left. Clearly the base on the right is much to tall.

I originally thought anything other than flat stock would be to ornate and make the space feel more traditional and or overdone and anything but contemporary or modern.

So I stared playing with flat stock and back band changing the width of the flat stock.

This is like 3-3.25 total including back band.

C930F99A-0B96-4903-8CB9-47A45485B75B.jpg

Then I shrunk it to like 2-2.25 left and just flat stock right no back band. I’m leaning toward rise sawn hard maple finished with a cyclic Polly to keep it white. Again I do t want anything the slightest rustic. I want brite open minimal. Kinda like the doors if I had been smart enough to build the, sans casing and base. Hindsight is 50/50 right. Plus no baseboards is a nightmare to keep the walls clean when moping.

43EEC701-825E-4E72-8FCD-EDFB4D9E63D2.jpg

Take into consideration I have a few different things to trim out regarding scale. The largest the entry door. Second largest the closet doors. The build in dresser will also get trim and it is exactly the same size as the double door closet and right across from it. The rest are windows. Two flank a bed and three are ganged together on the adjacent wall.

C930F99A-0B96-4903-8CB9-47A45485B75B.jpg

Then I shrunk it more.

83C65F3F-053E-489C-87AB-7C7FB2C74734.jpg

As a result of the backhand i will miter the headers into the stiles of the door jambs. I may even make the windows with no stool “sill” and picture frame them. Then again I may actually use a stool “sill” as to make the grooves for the shoji to travel in integral.

I’m also thinking of running a thin groove in the face of the backband to creat a shadow line. This would again bring more interest to the the trim on a whole.

At least right now it seems to me the more interest I bring into the trim the less rustic it looks and hence more contemporary. But you know it also doesn’t read as contemporary to me really either. The other option is flat stock with a v-groove where the stiles meet the header. I’m also gonna play with the thickness of the back band to the flat stock. Right now I’m .75 flat stock and 1” back band. Im gonna try .75-3/4” tomorrow.

I could also do painted trim like white I guess but you know that was never the plan so I’m not going ho. However I do think it would make a pretty contemporary look. I just don’t see it working with the shoji or the build in dresser and bench seat.

So the question is. Wide flat stock and back band. Thin flat stock and back band. Or just all flat stock..

C69E5435-0EA4-4941-950D-FA40F58FCB25.jpg

1E770118-1F43-4460-BC3A-7F42904545CA.jpg

One thing I know I am not liking above and beyond well just the trim. I’m loving the doors and the doors are exactly what I was bargaining for. I’m not feeling the flat sawn edges of the As trim. I honestly hate it on doors in general when the stiles and rails are qs. Pet peeve of mine and goes to show I must kinda like veneer modern garbage as much as I say I hate veneer anything and like solid wood joinery and wood being used like wood as apposed to something it is not. All kinds of contradictions going on here with me.

The only solution is only to make the flat stock thinner say 5/8 and back band 3/4”

FYI I tried to chamfer the edgesmof the flat stock and back band and it got to ornate and detailed. At first it seems like, it would lend itself to the Asian theme and or feel. It made it to fluffy.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-28-2019 at 9:19 PM.

Ok, I’ll throw in my 2 cents. I’d consider something maybe a couple inches wide and very thin around the door and then a wider thicker piece around that. Sort of the way the background door/panel was trimmed out:

0B2A1A01-93ED-4628-97CC-45D5DB26687C.jpg

So, like 1/8” thick by 1.5” wide surround and then a 1/2” thick by 4” surround around that (?)
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 12-28-2019 at 10:04 PM.

As you describe it that sounds like a backband and or two piece casing.

The picture however just looks like flat stock with a thicker header than stiles. I had originally considered that style and I suppose might as well make up a mock up of such tomorrow.

I like the way the space reads in your picture however my space being made for a Smurf makes things read slightly different. Well at least I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Ok, I’ll throw in my 2 cents. I’d consider something maybe a couple inches wide and very thin around the door and then a wider thicker piece around that. Sort of the way this was trimmed out:

0B2A1A01-93ED-4628-97CC-45D5DB26687C.jpg

Yes, the picture isn’t exactly as I was imagining it, but a thinner immediate surround to blend it into the wall and then a thicker piece around that.

Ha, I have to laugh at myself, because I’ve never trimmed out a door and have no idea what the different type profiles are called...

For point of reference this was my inspiration..

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/core...%2F&mode=print

It’s all flat stock..

Hmmm

This is the Yoe of thing I could end up way down a rabbit hole over..

In my friend's home, they get the simple Asian flair from flat casing with the top spanning wider than the verticals with the ends cut at a slight angle inward. It's clean and super easy to execute. Base is also very plain.

BTW, outstanding choices on your hardware. That ORB looks wonderful, clean and classy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...