Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me on Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Local to me at the moment there is a beautiful 1988 SCMI T110 with bolt on tenon table a power feeder and every single original accessory. The machine looks as new as the day it came off the factory floor. The seller is asking $4200, I bet you could get it for $3800. If I wan not holding out for a Martin with a sliding table and 10-13hp It would already be in my shop.

True story, you can sell stuff again. When you leave it, it won't take half of your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Plural shapers, yes, that is a production orientated approach. I think the minimum to crank product is three.

A single shaper is meant for the guy not really trying to get anything done and doesn't need to.
    If you have a moulder running, the number of shapers you really need drops by a couple. I still think every shaper should have a tilting spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    If you have a moulder running, the number of shapers you really need drops by a couple. I still think every shaper should have a tilting spindle.

Agreed. That's why I said in the previous post, real production shops don't have many shapers.

I need to figure out where the heck I'm going to put my moulder and get my dust collection sorted out to handle the chip load. Sitting in the corner doesn't do me much good.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    'Bought 16 minutes and 15 seconds.

I keep wondering how fast 10-20 of the same size door would take. I am betting he would average under 13 minutes per. My favorite part of the video is the ROS use, it is more like I use a ROS than the "proper" I have a week to finish the sanding on my honey-do table FWW magazine way.

I would like to have a second or third shaper but I really don't have the room and if push came to shove I would rather put all the money into one better shaper. Don't get me wrong I don't like the extra setup time but I do so little with each setup even 3 wouldn't keep me from setting up most times I use them. I do think hard every time I see a nice old iron shaper with no fence that sells for near nothing that I would love to have one to leave setup with a Byrd head for pattern cutting. It doesn't need to have any modern fancy controls and could be left with a completely open table and I wouldn't have to worry about taking the table off and putting it back on.

Van
    I feel the same way.
    I made one "set" of cabinets about 15 years ago, and I have a set to make this spring for our kitchen. Total of about 14 doors. (I don't do doors on lowers.) These will be the last cabinets I'll probably ever make as a "set". Martin makes more doors in one day than I will in my life.
    I still have vanity or two to do, and we're about ready to redo the upstairs bath, but that's small. We'll also be redoing all of the windows in the house, so that will take some time.( Maybe I should start looking for a used W&H moulder?) My wife is also talking having me make all new interior doors, so I don't know where that will lead???
    They'll always be the odd," boat work" I seem to get caught up in, or someone wanting to recreate a 300 year old piece of trim, but that's just fun work. I don't have to make $$$$ doing it, and it helps me rationalize having all of this equipment.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-28-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If space is an issue and you can only fit one shaper, the Felder F700, Minimax T55, or the new Robland shaper sold by Martin are a good compromise. Tilt spindle, sliding table, good fence, and enough size and build without being so large that the sliding table sits far away from the spindle. You will need a rpc as all with run three phase but those machines are versatile and changeover isn't too brutal.All will handle one pass profiling which is efficient but don't take up any more room than a PM 27 but are a huge step up. The used market runs 3-5K and lightly used machines pop up as commercial shops tend towards multiple heavier machines and hobby guys don't stress them. The SCM T110 is a nice size too but not tilt if I remember right. Dave

Since we are going afield on the shaper question anyone have experience with the Cantek shapers? There is a practically new SS512TB near me. It has a tilting spindle, sliding table, 7.5hp and a finger fence similar to the Aigner.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Since we are going afield on the shaper question anyone have experience with the Cantek shapers? There is a practically new SS512TB near me. It has a tilting spindle, sliding table, 7.5hp and a finger fence similar to the Aigner.
    I keep saying Cantek is a good value. The fit and finish is usually not great, but they seem to perform well and are over built from what I've experienced with other machines. I'd take a Cantek over many brands. I have zero direct experience with their shapers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I keep saying Cantek is a good value. The fit and finish is usually not great, but they seem to perform well and are over built from what I've experienced with other machines. I'd take a Cantek over many brands. I have zero direct experience with their shapers though.
    I think they are pretty comparable to Northtech stuff.

Kinda introductory industrial, like the extreema stuff.
    It's an odd segment in the marketplace for sure.

Dave never seen a T110 or 120 or 130 with Tilt. 150 and 160 yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    A shaper is probably the most versatile machine in the shop, along with the band saw.

I have a tilting spindle, sliding table shaper, it gets a lot of use in a hobby shop.

For tooling you'll need a carbide rebate head, an adjustable slotting cutter and a Euroblock 40 mm head that takes HSS knives. You should purchase MAN rated tooling which has a reduced risk of kickback incidents.

The cost of HSS knives and limiters for the 40mm head is about the same cost as a good router bit, and will produce superior results in solid wood.

A stock feeder should also be considered a necessity for safety and work quality...........Regards, Rod.
    Rod, I would really like to hear your recommendations on the tooling you just described. Currently looking at Whitehill combi head for my PM shaper....but I need some more tooling advice. Not trying to hijack the thread, I am sure it will be helpful to the OP too.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    Rod, I would really like to hear your recommendations on the tooling you just described. Currently looking at Whitehill combi head for my PM shaper....but I need some more tooling advice. Not trying to hijack the thread, I am sure it will be helpful to the OP too.
    Thanks!
    Hi Nick, With the combi head you'll get two of the above - a shear cut rebate block with scribes and a limiter head that can take different knives depending on the block you run.....for much less outlay than separate blocks with zero compromise in performance or practicality. If you're milling abrasive materials or manmade materials, Whitehill can tip knives in carbide for you if needed.

Adjustable groovers are fantastic but can be pricey and which size range(s) you get would depend on what you do but remember, knives to form any groove can be made for the Euroblock too though of course it won't be adjustable and the groove depth will be limited by the projection limitations of the knife stock. You might also want a panel raiser if you do that work.

What are the rpm options for your machine?

B

Thanks!
    Absolutely.........

My yearning to obtain a Shaper cooled off over the last couple of days. I did feel like I finally got to understand the 3 phase/VFD requirements opening up the possibility of more used commercial grade machine availability.

I also now realize, I would not buy a Shaper unless I could compliment it with a power feeder.

Next phase is to really understand the cutter heads available, etc.. This is completely new territory for me. I have a ShopFox moulding machine and have used it to make plantation shutter louvers successfully, so I'm familiar with interchangeable blades concept.

But at this point, my budget or in reality, the amount I was thinking of spending, appears to be about 50% below what is needed to obtain a setup that I think I would be comfortable/satisfied with.

So this leaves me in a bit of a dilemma, but I would still like to continue to absorb your knowledge and opinions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks!
    This would cover most home shop needs, from furniture to cabinetry and millwork.

20181229_095723.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Absolutely.........

My yearning to obtain a Shaper cooled off over the last couple of days. I did feel like I finally got to understand the 3 phase/VFD requirements opening up the possibility of more used commercial grade machine availability.

I also now realize, I would not buy a Shaper unless I could compliment it with a power feeder.

Next phase is to really understand the cutter heads available, etc.. This is completely new territory for me. I have a ShopFox moulding machine and have used it to make plantation shutter louvers successfully, so I'm familiar with interchangeable blades concept.

But at this point, my budget or in reality, the amount I was thinking of spending, appears to be about 50% below what is needed to obtain a setup that I think I would be comfortable/satisfied with.

So this leaves me in a bit of a dilemma, but I would still like to continue to absorb your knowledge and opinions.
    Regarding cost, the last two feeders I picked up were $50 and $400. The latter included a free 5hp sliding table shaper...

Jared

If those are your cutter heads, I'd ask how you like that Amana spiral jointing head. I've been looking at getting one. Some real world feedback would be appreciated.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)