Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Educate me on Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Lazz View Post
    My machine is 5hp....anyone know?

I assume it would.
    I wouldn't personally run a 125mm steel head on a PM27 (in the big picture it is a fairly light shaper) I would get the 96mm version. Maybe some people with more personal experience with the PM27 can chime in.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Hi Van, yes, they come with slugs you can insert in the limiter slots if you want. Many of the safety aspects of the head will be null if you do that of course so the manufacturer wouldn't officially recommend it.....
    Yes, it would no longer be MAN rated but wouldn't be different from my CMT blocks which I certainly don't hand feed.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I have the 5HP Powermatic 27S ... I believe it is 7000 and 10000 rpm
    I think the combi head is a definite must for me. Adjustable groovers I assume you are referring to the two piece heads with spacer.. I would be interested in those as well as a panel raiser.
    IIRC those are only slightly heavier built than the delta HD. I would stick to 100mm or smaller heads. The speeds indicate as much.

The PM 27 is kind of a 3 hp build with a larger motor. I'd not run a head of that size. Look at the spindles of the PM vs those of a SCM T130 for instance. Assume the quill and bearings that support the spindle are equally disproportionate. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The PM 27 is kind of a 3 hp build with a larger motor. I'd not run a head of that size. Look at the spindles of the PM vs those of a SCM T130 for instance. Assume the quill and bearings that support the spindle are equally disproportionate. Dave
    I got real good at changing those cheap bearings in my 27s once every 6 months. It's not even suited for 1/8" round overs. So glad when that thing left.

Are they really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I got real good at changing those cheap bearings in my 27s once every 6 months. It's not even suited for 1/8" round overs. So glad when that thing left.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I wouldn't personally run a 125mm steel head on a PM27 (in the big picture it is a fairly light shaper) I would get the 96mm version. Maybe some people with more personal experience with the PM27 can chime in.
    I agree.

Extra characters

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Are they really that bad?
    Picture a router with a cast iron base.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Ok, I’ll go with the 96mm.

A little surprised at the negative comments on the Powermatic 27 Super... all USA made including a Baldor motor. I would assume in some cases they may have been over used for what they were intended and they were purchased used but I’m scratching my head a little. It’s probably more than I’ll need, honestly.

I appreciate the feedback.

A little surprised at the negative comments on the Powermatic 27 Super... all USA made including a Baldor motor. I would assume in some cases they may have been over used for what they were intended and they were purchased used but I’m scratching my head a little. It’s probably more than I’ll need, honestly.

I expect you'll make out just fine if you have the discipline to not push it too hard and take two or more passes to complete an operation if necessary.

B

No, the PM 27 is not a bad shaper at all, and for it's intended purpose, it is a fine machine.
    In the home shop it is more machine than most users will ever need. A production environment would be different.
    I have a 70s vintage, Delta 43-375. It has a one pieces, 1" spindle and bearing assembly, on it right now. It's more than enough for my needs. I do have some cutter heads that are bigger than 100mm. Two panel raisers and a table edge are about 115-120mm, the Lock Miter is 115mm. The straight cutters are all just over 100mm, and everything else is <100mm. The tallest profile for my larger cutters is just over 1".
    While there is still a lot of energy at the outer circumference of these larger cutters, the rotational mass is not that great, due to the low profile. I think If I were trying to spin 115mm steel cutters that were 2" and greater in height, that would be to much rotational mass for the cartridge bearings.
    Here is an article on Delta Shapers, but there are also references to PM's. Pay close attention to the sections concerning spindle cartridges and bearings.

https://www.ae-tool.com/wp-content/u...ta-shapers.pdf
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-30-2018 at 2:40 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The PM27 is not a bad shaper it is simply a light duty shaper. Nobody (that knows vehicles) will call a Toyota Tacoma a bad truck but if you have to haul a 15,000-pound trailer over a 10% grade mountain pass every day it is simply too lightly built for the job. Just because it has a ball on the hitch that fits the trailer doesn't mean it is a good idea.

These Euro blocks are basically a solid chunk of steel and as thick on the outside edges as in the middle compared to a panel raising cutter that gets thinner toward the outside edge. It simply puts a lot of stress on the machine.

To visual make the point here is a set of pictures the first is showing a PM27 bearing INSIDE a Martin shaper bearing and their quills beside each other in the second picture.

bearing.jpgIMG_1220.JPG

The little Powermatic’s and Delta’s are fine with the small cutters that were designed for them. The minute you start running larger cutters they will eat bearings quickly.

Blog Entries
    I have a 68mm head for my delta hd. I think a 88mm aluminum head would be the max I would consider on the delta or powermatic. The quils are just tiny (relatively speaking) in those machines.

The 120mm amana head I have weighs 7lbs, the 68mm aluminum is .6lbs

Good stuff Mike.

Based on that and Van H's comparison....Maybe I'll have to look for an aluminum block instead. Sounds like even the 96mm steel version would be pushing it. What I'm finding is, I would probably need to buy something like this https://www.axminster.co.uk/whitehil...-block-ax19801 or just a limiter head (from Whitehill or similar) and a separtate rebate head as there isn't a combi version in aluminum. Bummer. I looked at Amana but it seems their euro style blocks do not have limiters that I have found and I would like to have them.
    Last edited by Nick Lazz; 12-31-2018 at 11:45 AM.